Heads Up Warning: Surface Pro X Unlikely to run Roon

Microsoft introduced a new Surface device this week: the Surface Pro X.

It’s their first ARM-based Surface product.

Microsoft has also just published a Windows 10 ARM-based PC app compatibility document. I noticed this item:

• Certain games won’t work . Games and apps won’t work if they use a version of OpenGL greater than 1.1

Given that Roon requires OpenGL 3.0 as a minimum requirement, this seems to indicate that you won’t be able to use a Surface Pro X as a Roon remote.

3 Likes

Surface pro x runs Roon fine despite poor software choices of Roon developers made (ie OpenGL)

You need to copy mesa3d library to the folder that Roon.exe is, this translate OpenGL calls to cpu calls, and it works absolutely fine, yet another proof that a music application does not need OpenGL that even a software translation makes it successful

However we don’t receive any official response And I am not happy with this state, it would be really good to be able disable OpenGL from roon completely by command line parameter

hi mr c i copied the mesa 3d bin and lib folders into roon but that still does not work. how did you do it can i get more help pls?

Microsoft published an Open GL compatibility pack for hardware that can’t run OpenGL 3.

I use it on my Surface Pro X, it’s not really fast and colours of the UI are off but it works

I’m using the Open GL compatibility pack in Windows 11 to run 2.0 (build 1128 x64). Only 2 issues:

1. The UI looks like it’s got a semi-transparent whitewash over it.
  2. If I close the app, it won’t run again without me going into Task Manager and killing any leftover Roon processes.

Otherwise, it’s working great. So close!