Hegel Roon Ready status statement

On their website hegel writes; “The measure of intelligence is the ability to change. Discover the H95 amplifier with upgradeable software!”

In retrospect a dangerous way to go, saving money on components has led to the situation we are in now.
It reads as; “We have problems with the upgrade able software because we choose to save a few bucks”.
I can understand this for the H95, H120 and maybe the H190, but the H390 and H590 are flagship amplifiers that should be able to run Roon Ready with ease.

I guess it is just a matter of waiting for things to come, whatever is first.
Maybe a solution offered by hegel, maybe something else.

Those at hegel have to do what they think they need to do with their product, support and reputation.

Whatever Santa is delivering this year or the years to come, it will not be a hegel device.
:santa:t2:

The term I’ve always used is vaporware. It only exists in the vapors.

… and in the minds of product managers and marketeers.

Agreed. It is why I’ve held off buying a Hegel this year.

Gerald Ratner class of 1991.

3 Likes

I’ll do the same. Perhaps we can join forces on the efforts.

You go right ahead that’s your right…my point is that if they lie about what’s in it and have such a lack of transparency then what else is coming next…not a company that can be trusted and should not be patronized…

8 Likes

Hello,
Hegel can release a Roon extension for IP control that combined with a streamer will go to same result as Roon ready, with better capabilities (more than 192 kHz and DSD 64), using USB input.
I suppose at least you can do.
Thank you

1 Like

@Anders_Ertzeid what’s your ETA for 0.01% for Roon?

It’s been three years for the 99.99% and they’re saying they have no idea for the .01%. One to three more years maybe? I think they’re just stalling at this point… hoping angry customers just sell their amps and don’t sue them. I highly doubt we will ever get Roon. If Hegel honestly wanted to develop Roon Ready they could have and if they honestly wanted to fix the problem alternatively they would have by now. They’re not doing either.

5 Likes

I think part of the problem is traditional Hifi manufacturers don’t understand the pace at which digital/computer stuff becomes old, and when it does, it’s effectively useless. I had a $10k Classé processor (SSP800), Classé promised a “digital upgrade board” from the onset - it took a few years, and cost thousands of dollars… then with Devialet, same again - everyone sent their Expert Pro’s back to Paris for the Roon Ready enabling upgrade. None of this helps with Hegel, but perhaps in the future, their digital board should be user upgradable. Or consumers should just stay away from integrated streamer-pre/amps. End of ramble :blush:

4 Likes

Samsung promised the same with their TV boxes, but never really followed through with it.

I have been thinking about active speaker’s and have the same concern about them as well. Hearing stories of them being useless after 3 year’s or so.

4 Likes

Yeah, the digital world just moves too fast… another case in point is Airplay. I only just got Airplay working, then along comes Airplay2!! I wish Roon would play to my L&R paired HomePod mini’s… it can’t! Apple Music gets my money now. Nothing lasts forever.

3 Likes

This is how I see it, too, at least for the higher-end stuff. Use an analog amp/preamp, and keep up to date with the digital front end separately.

5 Likes

Not necessarily. If people prefer a one box approach over an audiophile’s messy tech altar there are modular devices like the Mola-Mola Kula (and a couple of others). Also allowing future upgrades. By companies that don’t trick their customers by hiding the country of origin and selling cheesy parts as if they were gold.

Edit: Adding Accuphase to the list of alternatives

2 Likes

The NAD m33 is amazing too. Totally modular and future proof. Also happens to be Roon Ready right now.

2 Likes

I gave up on Hegel and bought an Allo Boss 2 player. This is a streamer DAC, and its DAC implementation is exceptionally high quality, measuring better than high end streamer products like Linn, Auralic, Aurender and Hifi Rose that cost many thousands of dollars. I paid $250 for it and got it preimaged with Dietpi with an additional Nirvana power supply to run it in dual power mode.

Just powered it on and it became immediately visible in Roon. It sounds amazing and connectivity is flawless. Besides Roon, it also solves another problem with Hegel and that’s Hegel’s crappy DAC.

In an ideal world I would bill this to Hegel and they would pay for it.

1 Like

But once it achieved Roon Ready status, you would still be stuck with the ‘crappy DAC’. Makes me wonder why everyone is waiting for this if that is the case? If the DAC is no good then the hegel amps are pointless because they fail to be the ‘one box streaming solution’ once you’ve bought a decent external DAC.

7 Likes

Very good point.

1 Like

Allo Boss2 Player has an excellent dac, so I will not be using Hegel’s. Also Roon ready will probably never happen.

2 Likes