Hegel Roon Ready status statement

Support is very important to me, and a sincere attitude towards customers.
We will see what 2022 will give us, will i still own my two hegel devices at the end of the year or are they gone.
Probably the last, and when they have left there will never ever come a hegel through the door again.

1 Like

Best wishes from Norway for the coming year, may it give you what you dream about and wish for.

Peter

2 Likes

Just revisited this thread after a long time, I was happy to see that @Anders_Ertzeid has posted an honest account of what is causing the delays. Many of the reactions have been quite negative of the “I knew you were hiding something” nature. I’m new to hifi forums but a veteran audiophile and I must say I did not expect this level of honesty by Hegel. They’ve admitted they made a mistake in announcing something they weren’t sure of and have now explained the choices they made that led to this.

The nature of Hegel (small, young company founded on a vision to make something that did not exist yet) was one of the reasons I bought my H190 - after being blown away with how good it sounded compared to rival product. I sold my Supernait 3 to buy my Hegel and I enjoy it every day. The trade-off (that I’m willing to accept) is that they will make mistakes that bigger, more experienced companies might not make.

A larger company probably would have handled the communication better because they have large customer service and communications departments to deal with / avoid these situations. That’s not an excuse for Hegel’s lack of communication but you have to put things into perspective. When I see posts about a class action lawsuit etc. I roll my eyes. Yes, you were promised something that you didn’t get (and probably won’t given the fact that it’s hardware related) and yes, communication was sub-par but let’s take a step back here. I’ve been in consumer facing jobs for over 20 years and I challenge you to find a company with this level of openness towards customers and willingness to engage with them.

There are many options to solve this problem and enjoy the same functionalities that Roon readiness would bring. The ones I tried go from no cost (Spotify connect, Airplay) to very cheap (Qobuz on Chromecast Audio through H190 DAC) to expensive (I use a Lumin D2 through XLR). Roon Ready would also go through internal DAC and I will bet my kids’ college fund that you will not hear any SQ difference compared to the Chromecast solution. On a side note, I’m impressed how relatively small the SQ difference is between Airplay and my D2 - a testament to how good Hegel has implemented Airplay.

All in all, the Roon readiness is by no means the defining quality of Hegel amps nor the reason the vast majority of owners bought them. For your own sanity and blood pressure, I would advise you to use any of the solutions I mentioned to enjoy both Roon and your Hegel. If you can’t, then it’s probably best to take your loss and trade your amp for something that fits your needs better.

14 Likes

Yes, it’s crazy. So many other companies can execute the digital side with ease and frankly sound better. Hegel was a fad.

Support and integrity are critical to a decent business.

I was all set to buy a Hegel, but decided to hold off until the Roon Ready stuff was sorted out. Last week I finally bought something else. Maybe next upgrade cycle.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re on the payroll, friend. And yes, Hegel should be very concerned about a class action… with or without the eyeroll :roll_eyes:.

3 Likes

You’re joking, right? This is laughable. Spotify, with hundreds of millions of users promised lossless streaming by end of 2021. Didn’t deliver. No lawyer getting rich on that I’m sorry to say, BECAUSE NOBODY CARES. Plenty of fish in the sea, so go buy something else and a dose of reality whilst you’re at it.

No joke bro. Let’s see what happens next.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Hegel country of origin

Have you even read this thread?

I suggest a requirement for this forum to ask members to declare their potential conflict of interest. If you are an AV dealer, especially the kind with a vested interest to keep unsubstantiated HIFI myths and deceptions perpetuate, your profile should clearly indicate that, and you shouldn’t be allowed to masquerade your experience as those of end user consumers. If you are on a payroll from a manufacturer to post in forums as their evangelist, then your profile must also indicate that. Honestly, given the level of loyalty that’s manifest in your post, I can’t imagine any ordinary user can be brainwashed enough after such egregious maltreatment from this company to still sing their praise the way you do.

2 Likes

Must say this thread is kinda funny,
People relax, sounds you want to have the death penalty on the guys at Hegel,
I have the H190 and is still a happy owner,
I do like the analog sektion much better than the digital,
Since that is the case i have opted for external dacs, currently Atom HE as it has the headphone quality i need now.
Be happy and have a good new year

4 Likes

He could be the owner!

you can relax maybe you have a ton of cash to burn. For many of us the money we spent on these devices was substantial enough to feel cheated and be angry about it. Rightfully so.

The general advice is never to buy an item for future promise. It has been made many times in relation to Roon Ready status, but maybe too late for you if you bought a couple of years ago.
I waited many months before pulling the trigger on my MA Mini I-Pro 3 after reading someone saying that but it came and I was happy.

iFi have promised multiple protocols for the Zen Stream and have now removed Chromecast support from the specification pages and Roon Ready looks like it’s never going to happen, but at least it works.
It’s a difficult thing when we want something badly and I understand you being annoyed, but you should buy a product for what it does now, not what it promises to do.

But at the same time D&D have just managed it after a couple of years do maybe Hegal can make the last 0.01%

Haha, I can assure you I have no affiliation with Hegel other than loving my H190. Just wanted to inject a dose of reality into this first world problem. The issue itself is quite minor and there are many ways to work around it. It feels like these heated discussions are more about people’s egos having an issue with what they perceive as “being lied to” than having a product that is defective or unusable. If an honest apology from the company doesn’t take away that bitterness then nothing will.

4 Likes

the problem with Hegel is not just its failure to deliver Roon ready. I bought mine less than a year ago based on rave reviews on the web and in forums, and based on the assurance and impression of buying a hi-end Europe built device, with great build quality, and premium components used inside it, which delivers extraordinary good sound.
I now realise that:
1- Hegel is made in China
2- Its USB input for H95/120/190 is perhaps the most out of date and cheapest available at any price point
3- Hegel has opted to use a crappy and cheapo streaming board nothing premium here.
4- many accounts of poor build quality and cheap components when people peeked inside of it
5- The DAC in H95/120/190 is worse (higher distortion) than most $50 dongles
6- the amplifier which is supposed to be good is mediocre at best and can be bested by much cheaper devices

so yeah, Roon ready is just the icing on the cake.

No, i spend my cash with a lot of research before buying anything this expensive,
I totally understand the anger regarding the Roon situation,
But it is still a great amp regardless.
The made in china part i don’t get, before my purchase i did research and of course listeningsessions, i found it very easy to find out manufacturing origin,

2 Likes

read my post above, sounds your extensive research has been 100% futile in protecting you from getting duped just like yours truly.