Hegel support planned?

Not sure if you’ve seen it but @Anders_Ertzeid has already commented on this elsewhere.

Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face: I have never seen this thread before. However there must be an error in Feature list (under link a have sent above) which specifies H590 is Roon Ready by now.

I think it’s commendable that Hegel want to make sure their Roon implementation works before releasing it. If only the Apple Industrial Complex (or Boeing…) had the same approach to their customers. If you read these forums every Roon release screws up the implementation that some users have. Of the total user base it’s obviously a small percentage and generally you only hear about the problems - which may or may not be due to Roon. Your solution will get you great sound. I installed an ultraRendu which gives great sound. The Roon ethernet solution is going to have to be pretty damned good to beat what I already have. I can wait. Others can’t/won’t so you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Hi. Anders from Hegel here. Shoot, I did not know it was there. We had to change servers for our website due to some relatively big issues with the former hosting company. We used a back up and several “small” issues from an earlier development stage have followed. I have ordered this updated now, and hopefully it will be within a few days.

Again, as I have said in the other thread. We are really sorry for the delays. Normally we never speak about new features before they come, and this is the reason. But since it looked so straight forward we did this time, and boy did we mess up. What was supposed to be a 3 month project has now taken 9. But is does look like we are very close to sending it to Roon now. Fingers crossed

5 Likes

Any updates here?

No updates yet. The Roon-update from Hegel is still delayed, sadly…

1 Like

@Matt_Cuttler - Thank you for inspiring me to give USB connection a chance. I already tested few years ago with different DAC and I was upset.
However, USB connection NUC/ROCK–>Hegel H590 gives great results regarding SQ. Apparently Hegel did awesome work with USB implementation. At this point I’m not excited about Hegel’s RoonReady anymore.

1 Like

Yes their USB is very good, even in the lowly H190. The Roon Ready implementation will need to be pretty good indeed to make me switch.

I’m using the USB input on my H390, streaming from a SOtM sms-200 ultra neo and it sounds very, very, very nice.

I’m patiently waiting for Hegel to release the Roon endpoint update to hopefully further simplify my setup but I second others here who appreciate waiting until it’s ready.

Working in product development myself, I understand the fine-line in sharing future plans. I respect Hegel for being open in sharing and honest in saying it’s not ready. I would rather have them continue to share (limited) plans and have those of us here (let’s face it, slightly-obsessed, audio zealots) understand and support their efforts.

I bought my H390 for what it does today - and what it does, it does very well - I welcome and look forward to any improvements Hegel are able to make to extend my listening pleasure.

Rock on. Now… Let’s get it done! :slight_smile: :smiley:

1 Like

Question: I have Roon ROCK running on a NUC. Does that mean I can run a USB cable from the NUC to my Hegel H390, to stream Roon?

Yes Patrick and have I noticed this is the best option I had tested so far. My current setup is: [ROCK@NUC]->USB audioquest JitterBug->audioquest Coffee USB->[H590]. SQ is far beyond my expectations. As I mentioned (above) I was skeptical about streaming over USB. I can recommend you to give a try few USB premium cables and chose the one which fits your SQ preferences. Good luck

Thank you. At the moment I go NUC=>ethernet=> Auralic Vega G1 => balanced XLR => Hegel

I look forward to comparing the two.

Have you tried DSD files in this way? If so, what are the limitations if any? DSD64? DSD128? DoP only?

Update: played a variety of files via USB from the NUC directly to the Hegel, including DSD (DoP).
Using a ‘basic-but-decent’ USB cable, it sounds pretty good to my ears. Now have an iFi Purifier3 on order, possibly followed by an upgrade to the USB cable and then my Auralic Vega G1 can go up for sale :slight_smile:
One thing I have noticed: drop in volume. Via USB, I am cranking my Hegel to mid 50’s level. Via Vega/XLR, I usually stay in high 30’s to mid 40’s volume level. Normal?

NUC > Ethernet > Hegel won’t work? I read at some blogs that ethernet connection would have better SQ than USB.

It only works via Airplay, not as a ‘full’ Roon Endpoint. Airplay SQ is so-so . USB is a little better, but still significantly worse than my external streaming DAC -> XLR -> Hegel (Auralic Vega G1).

I am still holding out hope that proper Roon endpoint support in the Hegel via ethernet will close some of that gap, once Hegel delivers.

I am done waiting. I bought the H390 9 months ago, with the understanding it would be Roon Ready (meaning: via RAAT) “in a few months”. I see no indication that we are any closer to that being delivered.
My H390 is going up for sale and I am switching to Devialet.

2 Likes

I feel you man, i’m in the same boat with the H190 that I just bought. It feels weird looking at DACs and streamers when both are actually inside the machine you just bought.

Before I make the switch permanent, I will compare:

• Devialet expert pro 220 (with Core Infinity and SAM technology) as Roon endpoint via ethernet/RAAT against the Hegel H390 (via USB)
  • The same Devialet against the Hegel PLUS the Auralic Vega G1 as roon endpoint
    If The Devialet on its own can end up between the Hegel alone and the Hegel + Auralic, the Devialet stays…

After a lot of internet searching i come to the conclusion that an Innuos Zen Mini MK3 + DAC could also be a solution. But this solution will easily be more expensive then moving to a H390 with NUC. (Yes I will then connect the NUC with USB until Roon is supported…)

WHAT TO DO… :frowning:

Totally hear you there. The H390 is on my shortlist, but not making a move until the Roon streaming is sorted.

Only thing is I have to assume Roon ready is coming. Eventually. If you bought your Hegel new, you’re gonna lose a bunch jumping ship. (If that matters.)

If it were me, and if I currently had another streaming option that sounds good, I’d be patient about the feature within the amp.

I’m also looking at a Parasound HINT6 integrated. No streaming at all, but half the price. But does it sound as good as the Hegel? When we get on the other side of this, I hope to demo both of them.