Help debugging hi-res playback with an Odroid & Schiit Yggy

Roon Core Machine

Intel Celeron, though I don’t think it’s relevant for this issue

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired Ethernet through a switch.

Connected Audio Devices

Schiit Yggdrasil Gen 5 USB connected to an Odroid XU4 running their own Linux flavour (kernel 5.4.196-406)

Number of Tracks in Library

Just streaming

Description of Issue

I’ve used the Yggy connected to a Node 2i (S/PDIF) and it played everything.

Connected to the Odroid, I can’t play anything other than 44.1khz 16bit.

At first I thought it was because my Linux installation was not configured for hi-res output, so I installed pulseaudio (according to some guides) and configured sample rates and what not, but without success.

I then noticed that I can’t play 24bit either. Strange.

Looking at pulseaudio’s output, I noticed the following error every time playback failed in Roon:

D: [pulseaudio] module-udev-detect.c: /dev/snd/controlC1 is accessible: no

dmesg shows:

[ 3144.736946] usb 1-1: 1:3: usb_set_interface failed (-32)

I’ve tried other USB cables as well, without success, so I’m thinking this is a configuration issue maybe. I’m open to suggestions on how to get this going.

I’ll shoot an email to the guys at Schiit as well, but I’m hoping the community here might be able to give me some insight.

Thanks!

Hi @Catalin_Mustata

Just to rule out the Yggy, connect your Roon core to it via USB. Don’t forget to enable it in Roon audio settings.

See what happens.

:innocent:

Hmmm, I could try that, yes. It’s not the best test as my Roon Core could be misconfigured as well (it’s an Arch Linux I installed).

I’m thinking that the error reported by Pulseaudio is actually because Roon Bridge has the output in Exclusive Mode, so the actual problem is the one reported by dmesg, but where do I take it from there?

1 Like

Is the XU4 capable of running Ubuntu for testing purposes.

I’m not familiar with the Odroids

:innocent:

I think it should. I could also try DietPi - I know they support the XU4 as well.

Could just be the version of Xubuntu that Odroid have used (I thinks it’s Xubuntu from what I read).

Hope you find the cause and a fix

Roon on Linux should be using ALSA not pulse audio as it has full exclusive access. Pulse is a layer on top that will control all manor of system audio stuff much like windows does. I don’t believe it supports exclusive control. I would install a distro that’s known to work well with Roon, such as dietpi.

1 Like

i had a schiit gen5 usb interface (in an OG bifrost) … on linux it could not handle 24 bit playback (i think it would only do 32 or 16) … if you’re streaming, maybe 16/44.1 is the only compatible format?

for what it’s worth, i got a newer unison usb card, on linux it works great

This thread has been moved to the Linux category where other users may be able to assist. It can be moved back to Support if Roon technical support is required.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

It seems like the issue is with the Gen5 USB board indeed. Following on @Menzies’ suggestion, I tried the Yggy with my Holo RED (easier than moving the Roon Core from it’s place, though still a heavy best for its size :sweat_smile:). Somewhat not surprising, it had the same behaviour as my Odroid. Tried another USB cable just to be sure (I was initially using a split power/data cable I made myself), still the same.

When I tried the Yggy initially on the Node 2i, it was through S/PDIF, so it all tracks.

i think it would only do 32 or 16

Could be because Yggy reports S16_LE, S32_LE, but S24_3LE (instead of S23_LE). I’m a computer engineer myself, but the specifics of USB Audio are foreign to me, so I’ll have to read up on this a bit. Maybe I’m completely wrong.

Either way, I’ll wait for an official response from Schiit on this, but all signs point to a Unison USB upgrade. I had it planned, but now it seems like it’s quite necessary.

2 Likes

also note, looks like the Odroid XU4 is supported on Armbian … this will get you on a more recent kernel (I think the Armbian kernels are sometimes used by DietPi, so then it’s just a matter of which setup you prefer)

either way, good luck with the unison usb upgrade :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.