Help with Roon ARC Port forwarding behind OpenMPTCProute / PVPN

Roon Server Machine

Ubuntu 20.04, Intel, 4GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    EE

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?
    Asus

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    I have:
    Pi Hole
    OpenMPTCProuter

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?
    Server is connected via ethernet to my network
    Network uses OpenMPTCProuter to bind a 4G connection and broadband connection. This in turn uses a VPS hosted tool to merge. It’s basically like a VPN connection. I have port forwarding setup.

Connected Audio Devices

I use headless Raspberry Pi running Roopie
iPad
iPhone

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

I get the following error:

I have port forwarding setup on OpenMPTCP, set 55000.
I also have other forwards works fine for Plex, SSH etc. So wondering if Roon does things differently.

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“18.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Thanks,
Jamie

Hi @Jamie_Reynolds,

Thank you for your post. The autoconfiguration tool with Roon ARC port forwarding relies on the UPnP stack, which likely isn’t in play in your router firmware.

Here’s what we need to do:

Roon ARC can likely work with this multipath TCP setup, but you’ll need to find a way to make all outbound traffic from RoonServer pass through the same external network interface. ARC connects to the source from the established connection between RoonServer and our upstream servers.

I assume that there are existing tools within the open-source firmware, OpenMPTCProuter, that you can use to redirect traffic to the right interface. If you haven’t already, create a manual rule similar to Port forwarding · Ysurac/openmptcprouter Wiki · GitHub.

It’s outside the scope of support for us to assist with the specific steps you’ll need to take within the relevant network management settings here - the landscape of network implementation is too expansive and variable, and Roon doesn’t have the support staff to help with everything.

That said, if there are experts in the Community here, they’ll likely weigh in soon.

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve tried setting up various firewall forwards and getting the traffic from the Roon server going through an interface but still no joy.

If anyone else can help that would be amazing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.