Help with Roon sound quality

You mean connect my laptop by USB to the Devialet?

Yep as a test only.

Cross messages :grinning:
I will try this tomorrow as its a bit late now . If it is as simple as this what could I do? It would still need additional expenditure?

If it sounds better then you have options. Something as cheap as a rPi or a microrendu or sotm sms-200 as a Roon endpoint unless you specifically need wifi.

Thanks Jeff I will try this tomorrow. I would still have the issue that my albums are on the Melco and only one USB input on the Devialet, but guess I would worry about that if it works

Ok I admit to not really know what I am doing here other than experimenting, but what I have done above helps the bass get a bit tighter . I have played about quite a bit as it’s easy to do and the above improves the situation. It might give you guys some idea of what I need to do or maybe not :grinning:

First, I would suggest disabling all DSP that you don’t really need. Like for example I can see that you have enabled two parametric EQ’s, Convolution, Audeze Presets, and Procedural EQ.

Secondly, if you are boosting some frequencies, then it would be good to add some headroom, like -3 dB in the Headroom Management and enabling the clipping indicator to make sure that you aren’t experiencing any digital clipping.

If you want to do a digital room correction properly, then you really need a good microphone. You will get amazingly good bass response by following these guidelines:

2 Likes

Tried the lap top into the Devialet with USB with the same results

Thainks again I have taken the above steps and removed the others and did the headroom thing you suggested .
I am still experimenting

Even better

@Womaz I’m a bit confused, I thought you said the bass was overpowering with Roon, yet your EQing above that makes it better further boosts the bass.

Are you using SAM as well?

1 Like

I agree I was a little shocked too, but this does tighten the bass up a bit. Its easy to experiment with this as it adjusts as you listen. So giving the bass a slight boost tightened it up for me. I admit though I think I am close to accepting that the removal of the Melco is what is doing the damage.
My SAM is at 25%, I have also experimented with lowering and increasing this, but again not with any success

I found that SAM did more harm than good, eventually I just turned it right off.

I did turn it off too just to experiment and it just made everything a bit duller, and a less full sound

A big thank you to all who have contributed on here, it is really appreciated.
After a lot of experimenting I have been unable to get anywhere near the SQ I currently have I am afraid. The bass I have covered and it just lacks punch.
I think at this time Roon will not be added although I am genuinely gutted as I have become rather addicted, however SQ has to come first.
One last thing i may do is use Roon for a month and Roon only. Its one last desperate attempt maybe :grinning:
The reason i may try this is I do believe your ears just become accustomed to adapting to whatever you listen to and its a bit of a shock when you change. An example of this was last year on my holidays I took my in ears CA Lyra 2 a good iem I admit.
So for two weeks thats all i used, when I got back home and put my Hifiman HEK headphones on I really did not like what i heard. I thought they lacked detail and intimacy. I remember being shocked at the time. Of course since then the Lyras have not been used as they are much inferior to the HEKs, so I have a theory that my ears just adapt. So I may try this.

So short term probably no Roon for me, but it has got me thinking maybe its time to spend some cash and get Roon into my system. I really do not want another box but I may consider it. i could also replace the Melco with a Roon ready equivalent. I think the Aurenders have a HD and are Roon ready, and there will be others.
I could also even consider a total streaming solution as i would not miss my own library. Its mainly FLAC with a few HiRes and Tidal will more than likely have all the albums anyway. I have them all backed up so could get a HD at a later date if I missed having my collection too much.

A lot of things to consider, and again thanks for all the help and input.

Be careful Roon Ready doesn’t mean it can act as a server. Roon Ready is in most all cases just an endpoint. If these endpoints list the capability of adding a hard drive it’s most likely for the hardware makers own music playback system not Roon.

1 Like

Clearly if I go for Roon I need to do a lot of research as there appears to be a lot of ways to get it :grinning:

It’s all in the Knowledge Base

The Innuos servers are getting good reviews as a one box Roon server designed to hook direct to DAC.

Very strange Jeff as I have just looked at all of the options and think this way would suit me best. It’s like a replacement for the Melco really but acts as a roon server too.
Not too expensive either and I could sell the Melco
As far as I can see not many options in the UK for a Roon server unless I am missing something again