Help with Roon sound quality

This the one that some of the custom clocker/usb gadget guys have been ditching everything for on the Computer Audiophile site.

http://innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zenith-mk2-std

Yes this is the model I have been reading about .

@DrTone

The Zenith MK2 Standard does not act as a Roon Core so it is useless to me and most people here.

Sorry can you explain what you mean by that?
I have just read up on it and thought it did

It will act as a Roon player (endpoint) but you still need something running the Roon core. I doubt few people will spend that kind of money on a Roon endpoint even if it does have storage for the library.

Ah I thought it ran Roon core…this journey gets more and more complex, and just when I think I have grasped something , then bang :grinning:

1 Like

The Zenith MK2 Standard can act as a Roon core. See: http://innuos.com/en/go/roon

However, like someone thinking about using a NAS as a Roon Core, I would caution them to understand the limitations of the device they are considering. Like many NAS units, the Zenith’s CPU is not enough to handle some DSP chores. They even say this themselves on the website I linked above:

As a Roon Player only

Connect to another system running Roon Core and use as a player only. This is useful if you plan to use Roon with computationally-heavy Digital Signal Processing (DSP) scenarios, where a very powerful computer is required to perform the heavy-duty processing, such as upsampling to DSD.

I read about this on the Devialet chat forum and didn’t quite understand , I do now, so thanks
I guess fur me with no DSD and 95% of listening now through TIDAL it would do the job

Cool! I am glad to be wrong on this.

Now if it only had something more than USB out!!

Slow down. I have skimmed this thread and I think there is a lot of confusion.
First, you say the differences are large, with Roon significantly poorer. This means something is wrong. That doesn’t happen with digital systems. When things are working correctly, you don’t get large frequency resposnse differences that require multi-dB correction.

Don’t worry about the hardware. Sure, there may be differences with different hardware, but they are subtle differences. That’s not what you have here. No reason to buy an expensive audiophile server before you know what is wrong.

Now, I don’t have a Devialet and I don’t know anything about their AIR, so I can’t make suggestions on the likely problem.

But I would suggest, move the laptop near the Devialet, connect it with a UBS cable, enable that connection in Roon, turn off all DSP, play sonething, and click on the “star” and look at the signal path.

Are you getting bit-correct output to the Devialet? It shouldn’t look like my setup here, but it will tell you what is going on. Or upload it here and people can help diagnose. Diagnosis comes first, then fixing whatever setup is wrong, and then maybe you can fine tune it.

(Btw, I always recommend simplicity. I have stupid-expensive speakers, but my Roon server is a NUC, just replaced with a Roon Nucleus, and the Roon endpoint is a MicroRendu. Simple and inexpensive and work great.)

4 Likes

Thanks for the post. I will reply in more depth later . This is my signal path I am getting right now. I will connect by usb later

And with the lap top connected via usb

They look identical to me

Yes, they are.
And i am pretty convinced that if you connect to the Devialet using USB (only) it wouldn’t display Devialet Ethernet on the output line art a bit downward to the right.
Besides, you are still mucking around with DSP such as Headroom adjustment and treble adjustments?

Please forgive me, but you really should try and get a hold of a knowledgeable dealer who could walk you through the concepts first hand? I feel we’re not talking the same language here all the time :slight_smile:

I have no dealer who can help me with this unfortunately

The treble reduction is on my Devialet . If I remove this and the headroom will it make any difference though?
I also agree I am a novice with all of this but I pick things up quickly with some guidance

It is connected by usb only right now . The Dev Ethernet was just the name I give it when I set it up. I have changed it

Now, i dont have a Devialet, but i am pretty confused why you would see the Air-protocol mentioned in a direct to USB-connection? The french have always been pretty good att solving non-existing problems however… :wink:

Questions like yours pop up every now and then on this forum; “Roon sounds bad”… And i am pretty amazed most of the time how you even CAN make Roon sound bad? Roon doesnt sound at all, it’s partly a bit perfect transport protocol, unless you muck about with settings and DSPing. Which means, what comes in, also comes out.

So, if you want to make Roon sound as good as it can, disable you DSPing;
DSP1
Select DSP Engine and in the next dialogue, top left disable the DSP engine:
DSP2
Yes, i know there are people that enjoy (or think they enjoy) the effects of upsampling etc from time to time, even i do that occasionally.

Let us know how you get on?

My first dropout with Roon this morning. The only thing I see that is different is info about the processing speed

Hi I dont think Roon sounds bad, but using Roon as opposed to my Melco is a disappointment for the reasons I have stated above. Trust me I am really disappointed as I love the Roon interface and I am desperate to get a stable streaming solution.

I confess to being a novice at all of this but I do think that maybe the Melco is giving me the tight bass that I like. The difference is substantial believe me. I truly wish this was not the case

Hmmm your Air vs USB screen shots are both Air. When you plugged in USB did you install the Devialet USB driver and create the new Roon USB endpoint?

As well, turn the DSPing completely off until you get things figured out, you have way too many variables involved now.

1 Like

Are you meaning when I connected the lap top by USB?
I did not do that as it just worked.
I have disabled everything and I have a couple of hours to test later, but I admit I am not hopeful now.
The signal path is what it should be, so it can only be the change of hardware now surely? The replacing of the optimised melco by a lap top?

Steve

It worked because it still used Air. You haven’t done an apples to apples, usb and no dsping comparison yet.