Help with Roon sound quality

OK I see. No idea how I would do that.
One thing though since I have disabed all the DSP, headroom eyc I have had two dropouts. Up until this I had 3 days without an issue. It may be a coincidence of course

If running the latest version of Windows 10 your computer should have configured the Devialet with the Class compliant USB driver. All you have to do at this point is go into settings->audio and configure the new endpoint. Give it slightly different name so you know what you are playing to.

If running an older version of windows, you will need to install the Devialet USB driver and then do the settings thing.

I am sorry but I am getting really confused here and I dont want to start downloading drivers to my lap top unless really necessary.
I was told to uninstall the AIR drivers before I installed Roon as there would be less conflict? It would be a smooth process and it was.
I am running Windows 10. I would also like to point out that I never used AIR for over 2 years apart from a brief experiment last week.
Steve

It’s probably time for you to read the user manual and all the FAQs. The things we are trying to get you to do are pretty basic Roon functions. Going into Roon’s settings->audio and configure the USB audio output for you Devialet falls under that basic category.

https://roonlabs.com/support.html

PS) The Air and USB drivers have nothing to do with each other. 2 completely different things.

Jeff I do really appreciate your help on here and the time you have taken to post on here . However why would I need to do that to optimise my USB settings when I have no intention of ever using roon via usb.
I set roon up as per the instructions
I have read and rev read the manuals till I am sick of the sight of them.:grinning::grinning:

We started by trying to find out why the bass was different. But if you don’t care to pursue that anymore, we’ll let you carry on.

My audio page

Ah so that is why you are mentioning the USB driver I get it now.
I followed the roon intallatiin guide word for word and it was a breeze.

I do appreciate your help so please don’t think I don’t , but if my signal path is showing as normal,as I think it is, then it must be the hardware surely .

I keep,saying this but the Melco is effectively a HD optimised for,use with good hifi equipment . I am replacing that with streaming from a lap,top which is not and has a lot of other stuff going on in the background. Surely this has to be a factor?

The Melco is used by a lot,of high end Hifi companies at big Hifi events as it does get good results . Trust me I would love this not to be the case but I think my experiences may be Backimg that up.

I would love to use Roon, I bloody love it and I won’t give up .

Long term I would get the lap,top out of the chain again and I have been reading up on a few ways of doing this , this is how much I want roon and a stable streaming solution.

Oh and having said that a couple of Roon dropouts this morning

Steve, that is not how digital systems work.
It’s like if you bought a new laptop from Dell, and you loaded your income spreadsheet and your profit margin was slightly less.
It can’t happen.
Something is wrong.

Yes but could it be that the Melco I currently use is optmised for music playback ie reducing network noise etc and the lap top I am now using is not. As when using Roon the Melco is out of the equation
My signal path looks ok doesn’t it ?

No.
Optimized hardware can certainly have an effect, but not the kind that you are describing.
Something is wrong with the configuration,
You have to get it to work right before you optimize.
This is basic troubleshooting: remove all extraneous variants and reduce it to its basics, get it right, then you can go back up and optimize again.

Appreciate your help thank you . I thought I had went back to the beginning as I have disabled all of the extras .
Yes the difference is large, if it wasn’t it would be a no brained to get Roon as I love the way it works.
I am determined to get this sorted but right now I don’t know where to start

@support Can anyone help me with this issue please?

@Womaz I read a Melco N1A review and it seems to be noted for a ‘rich’ sound, could it be that the Melco sound is what you are used to and Roon’s bit perfect but ‘neutral’ sound comes across as lacking?

Just a thought.

Hi @Womaz — Thank you for your continued feedback an more importantly, thank you for your patience here. I have went ahead and “unlisted” this thread, thus making it a private conversation so you and I can chat directly. I know you have had a lot of information being passed your way so let’s start off with the basics and see if we can get this sorted out for you.

First, I want to get all the details of your setup…

1. Where is your “Roon core” currently being hosted? Please provide the make, model, and specs of this device.

2. Please verify where your musical collection is being stored/accessed from.

3. Please describe all your current audio zones.

Second, please describe the issue being experienced…

Third, please describe what your “goal” is…

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

That is a possibility I guess. This is more or less what i have been hinting at that the Melco must do something.
I would think this is a possibility but the difference in the bass is not subtle…its very different.

Above it says my post is Unlisted…what does this mean? is this because I have tried to get support involved?

Support will chat to you but the thread is no longer listed on the forum so the conversation will be private, I will back out too, good luck Eric is very good and will identify any issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt reply. I should have come to support in the first instance I know that now. I am on a 3 month trial and just getting to know how things work on here

1 Lenovo Z50 Lap top, Windows 10, Core i5 4210u processor, 8MB memory

2 Tidal Hifi

3 Only one room and its the living room.
Devialet 200
Melco N1A
SF Olympica 2

I am disappointed with the SQ. Its the bass in particular. it feels bloated in comparison to streaming through my Melco. I think this makes the music sound dull in comparison. There is also slightly more bright sound but I can live with that.
The difference in the bass is substantial and makes the music sound dull and slow

My goal is to get the same SQ i currently get as I love the Roon experience. It is streets ahead of anything I have seem and I guess my hopes are built up, but it cant be at the loss of the SQ.

I hope this helps

Steve

If this review is what I am hearing then i have no chance of replicating this with a lap top. Why were others so sceptical that it could be the Melco I wonder :grinning:
The forum is great though with some very helpful people. Thanks for your post
Steve