Help with Roon sound quality

Ok, I will step out too, you have the right support.
Two observations: if @Ratbert idea is right and it is the Melco that does something special, that it deviates from “correct” but in a way that you like, then you can probably achieve that with Roon too, using DSP. I did that, to tame a bass resonance of my room. But only after I was certain that I had things correct, “bit-perfect”.

To help you make sure things are correct, that’s where my suggestions come from. Even if you are not going to use the laptop and USB, it is a useful test. This is what my signal path looks like when I use a direct USB cable to my DAC, a Geek Pulse. Note that it says “lossless” at the top, and all the stars are purple. This means nothing is messing with the signal. (Strictly speaking, the driver could mess with it after Roon is done with it, but that shouldn’t happen if use the standard Windows driver).

1 Like

Hello @Womaz,

Let’s try and isolate some of the components in your playback chain so we can properly diagnose where this change in SQ is happening.

1. Download the Devialet Air driver. I have included a link to the FAQ page on Devialet’s site here.
  2. After downloading and installing the Devialet Air driver, make sure you have selected the “Never stream automatically to it” option in the driver settings
  3. Open the Tidal app on your laptop and choose the Devialet Air sound card as your output device
  4. If the sound is the same as Roon, the issue is likely with your Air settings on the Devialet 200
  5. If the sound is different than Roon, the issue is likely with your Roon settings
  6. Close Tidal and open Roon
  7. In the Roon Audio tab, you should see the Devialet Air driver show up as “Connected to this PC”
  8. Play to the Devialet using the “Connected to this PC” driver, and note if the sound quality is different

If you have issues with the Air driver and Roon, here is our knowledge base article with some troubleshooting steps and screenshots.

-John

Before i go through all of that you do know that I do not use Air with the Devialet. The Melco is connected by USB and acts as the streamer.

I really appreciate your help it is much appreciated honest. However as you can probably tell I am a bit of a novice with computer audio and the thoughts of installing drivers etc to my lap top just to do a test sort of puts me off.
I am now in the hands of Support so I will see what they suggest.
I also thought this thread was closed…I have no idea how this forum even works let alone Roon :grinning:

Not sure I tagged you in this

Hello @Womaz,

Yes, I was able to read through the thread and get a background on your setup. What we’re trying to find out here is if there is something different sounding about the Air input on the Devialet vs the USB input that is causing the SQ difference, or if it is Roon that is the difference.

-John

I understand now. Ok I will do as you suggest. I removed the Air driver as I was told it was best to.I will let you know how I get on

Ok I have done this .
Using the Tidal app and Air the sound was worse I think .
I then used Roon and I think it improved but it was hard to tell to be honest. None of them got anywhere near as good as streaming through the Melco.

Steve

Just to add I have run this test again and Air was worse. Infact with Tidal and Air I had to increase the volume on my Remote app by about 10 to 15 -db. It was so quiet.
Also not sure if this helps but whatever i have done her has played havoc with my Devialet remote app on the Ipad. Could not find it and was slow to respond and basically was all over the place

Steve

Hello @Womaz,

Check your Expert 200 settings to make sure that it isn’t changing settings such as EQ and DSP on a per input basis.

-John

1 Like

How do I check my expert 200 settings ? Do you mean via roon?
If you do mean this the DSP is disabled

@Womaz,

-John

I am sorry that does not help me , I am a novice at all of this so posting me a link won’t help I am sorry
I have no idea what I am looking for when I am toggling through the screens

Tone controls and other settings are global on Devialet amplifiers so settings of tone or balance will affect all inputs. This is not an issue I think. There is a ‘level’ setting for pass through to a home cinema setup, but I believe this may involve analog line (preamp) outputs.

Can I now remove the Dev Air driver please as it is causing a lot of conflicts on my network. For eg last night I could not watch TV as it kept switching the inputs to my Amp, It can only be the Air driver as this has not happened before.

Can anyone tell me how this forum works please.
I was told it had been unlisted, does that mean no one can see it? I am confused as I have still had people reply to the thread.
Does this mean only support can see it? As I have had no reply from support for 15 hours…I know they have to sleep :grinning: But is this normal.
The installation of the Devialet Air driver has caused a lot of issues and i want to uninstall this as soon as possible

Hi Steve
an ‘unlisted’ thread can still be viewed and replied to, but it does not show in the list of threads so it is ‘hidden’ from new visitors. You’ll have to know where it is (thread number) to reach it or, as in my case, find it in the browser history.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification
I think my roon journey will be over soon as since I installed it I am having a lot of issues. My Dev remote app seems to have a mind of its own . Also my normal playback system the kazoo app to my Melco now the music stops after about 2 tracks
I recognise the name from the Devialet forum. Thanks again

Steve, take a look at this thread: SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta) . By using this you’d keep the Melco ‘sound’, but use Roon as the front end. I know this solution is quite tweaky, but as far as I can see this is the only way you can combine Roon and Melco and (hopefully) get the best of both.
I am using a microRendu and a Mutec MC3+USB in front of my D250 Pro. Quite similar to what Brian (Confused) uses although he has gone ‘all out’ and bought the Mutec REF10 clock and various SOtM gear after he upgraded his D1000 to CI.