Help with Roon sound quality

Yes this is a possibility. With my lack of technical knowledge I really do need to keep it simple though. I think for now Roon is not going to fit in my system, although I think support are still trying to help me.
If it is the Melco giving me the sound I like then i am at a loss right now to be honest as I do really want Roon. It just works and do you know what since getting the Melco I have not really had that luxury of a stable app/streaming system.
If I can get the bass tamed you never know Roon could be the answer.
I wish i understood these issues better as I find it frustrating. I work in finance and I am very analytical I guess and I need to understand things. Right now I am not sure if my signal path is OK as if it is then it points to the Melco just doing what I like to music.
Thanks for your post, much apprecaited

@Womaz ----- Quick question for you. When you ran this test and shared a screenshot of your signal path with us. This was the AIR driver in play OR a direct USB connection from the PC to the 200?

The reason I ask is because the Signal Path indicates that exclusive mode was “not” active during that test run. As mentioned in our knowledge base (the link above):

As such, we can’t guarantee that the output quality is lossless, so we label it as “High Quality”

For example. I don’t have access to a 200 at this time but I do have access to a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC. So I setup a quick test station:

MacBook Air (hosting Roon core) + ONY TIDAL content
Chain: MBA - > USB -> Perfect Wave

Without exclusive mode enabled:

With exclusive mode enabled:

-Eric

This was the screen shot from the Lap top connected via USB to the 200. I just plugged it in i did not use any drivers.
I mentioned exclusive mode in my first post I think as I have never been able to see how to enable this.
I think in all of the screen shots I have never had the Lossless quality at the top. I have alos not seen the Core Audio exclusive mode at the bottom

Steve

That’s not USB it’s Roon Air.

Yes I think you pointed that out yesterday, I just connected lap top with a usb cable as that’s what I thought I had to do. I has no idea I had to install drivers etc
Yesterday i was asked to install the Dev AIR driver and this caused all sorts of issues…like my Dev remote app changing inputs etc. Now I cant even use the Melco to stream as its stopping after a couple of tracks

Not sure if this helps but this is my latest result

Hi @Womaz ---- Ok, so this indicates you are getting “lossless” playback. Just to make sure I have the test environment correct, please describe the chain of communication that is currently being used. As you saw in my previous post:

Example: “Chain: MBA - > USB -> Perfect Wave”

-Eric

Lenovo Lap top has the Core
I am using the Ethernet option on my Devialet as it is hard wired to my router, The lap top is not.
I control it using the Ipad Roon app

So laptop to the Devialet effectively, does this make sense?

You say I am getting lossless but it says enhanced? This is some learnig curve :grinning:

@Womaz — Yup, makes perfect sense, thank you!

“You say I am getting lossless but it says enhanced? This is some learnig curve :grinning:”

You are seeing enhanced because the DSP engine is currently active. In order to disable this feature you will need to do the following:

Click the “speaker icon” (bottom left hand corner of the window) - > select “DSP” - > use the “switch” in the left hand corner of the screen to “disable”:

-Eric

1 Like

The DSP is currently disabled as this was suggested, but I have a -2.5 treble adjustment on my 200 so it could be that

With the treble adjustment removed

Please forgive me if this is too basic, but my signal path is now ok as all the correct coloured stars?
So is this the correct signal going to the Amp?

1 Like

Yes this is a bit perfect Air signal path going to the Devialet and it should be equivalent to the Melco. As long as the Melco isn’t doing any DSPing.

1 Like

Well Jeff the Melco is certainly doing something :smile: : so why am I so disappointed :grinning:

Ok. So back to USB. I know you don’t want to install drivers. Would you consider making sure your Windows 10 laptop is running the latest feature updates? If you get it completely updated you will not need a driver for the Devialet.

Maybe :grinning:
What does it involve? The reason i am reluctant as whatever I did last night has messed up my Dev remote app and the Kazoo app.
What would be the reason to try this now as we have established the signal path is ok?

It is definitely the bass. With the Melco it is much tighter , I prefer this. I think using Roon the bass feels bloated in comparison. My room is lively and I have had to tame the bass with acoustic panels. This means the vocals are not as prominent as it feels the bass is drowning it out, if this makes sense.
The difference is quite substantial, if it wasnt I would not have even noticed as I am not one who is continually tweaking etc

Because you are comparing Ethernet to USB right now not Apples to Apples.

Go into windows update and make sure it’s completely up to date. This is the version you need to be on and you’ll have the Class Compliant USB driver. At that point plugging laptop into USB will only require configuring Roon with the new USB Audio device.

Just checked and its up to date

Is this done automatically?