Help with sibilance please

This is not possible in the new room, they are as far off the wall as I can get them.

Can you play with the toe in angle? Treble is extremely directional, you could try pointing speakers at something absorbent, or where reflections are absorbed.

I would say then that your speakers are not really feasible for your room. I learned this the hardway myself and have had to rethink and reduce down to something thats less fussy about placement and doesnt bass boom and sound bright, so I had the same issues as you. I used DSP for a while but its not the answer to the problem just a away to mitigate some of it. Couldnt use it for analogue or other sources. I had to downsize massivley to get anything near what my room would tollerate.

Its very easy to go any buy stuff that looks and sounds great in a previous location when in reality it all has to work in your new home. Rooms are all different and will change what the speaker doees, As you have moved what worked before obviosuly does not now and changing speakers that work better in the new room may well be your best option and get you to a better place without making the room look like a recording studio. Then use Roons DSP to the last little adjustments. The less DSP has to do the better for SQ.

How are your speakers connected to the ground? I found that Townsend seismic supports helped mine no end in a difficult position. To save money it may be worth buying a load of squash balls and a chopping board just to see if it helps. If it does it may be worth investing in the Townsend stuff as it takes the theory much further. I found it removed bass boom and improved treble.

Some good replies on here so thanks for all the input.
Unfortunately the speakers cant be moved as I have said , I have also tried them at various angles and there are small changes but not enough
The new room is smaller and I have the SF Olympica 2 so they may not be ideal for my room but for me they were a significant investment and they are staying.
I think when I add more absorption to the room it will help , like curtains for example. I have a large double patio door which at present is bare apart from some plastic blinds
I am only looking for a temporary solution as I stated. Thanks for all of the posts .

Temp fixes for:
Boomy bass - cut with parametric EQ probably in 80-160Hz range - speaker and listening position can hugely impact this.
Sibilance - cut with parametric EQ in 5Khz-10Khz range. If female vocal harshness, try a cut in 3-5Khz range as well. Sibilance can be made worse by large area of exposed window. Vocal harshness can be made worse by large area of exposed plaster wall. Curtains, shelves with books etc all help with this. Also overly exposed floor/ceiling can be a contributing factor depending upon material.

If the listening position is too close to rear wall, then sound reflection off rear wall can make vocals and other similar frequency sounds seem a bit harsh as well as reducing imaging (due to brain being unable to discriminate between direct sound and reflected sound arriving too soon after). Panels may help, but really listening position needs to move.

For acoustic panels, generally you want them in pairs/quads, for eg a pair behind the speakers on the front wall matched by a pair on the rear wall - damps reflected sound between them according to the absorption/reflection characteristics of the panel. Depending on the off axis response of the speakers, it may be desirable to strongly reduce sound reflected off the front wall behind the speakers. Some speakers have a much smoother off axis response than others (for eg, many KEF are often quite smooth off axis making then less picky about the room they are in and tend to interact better with DSP room correction systems).

1 Like

Maybe HAF can help…worth a shot

Hi thanks for the detailed reply.
I know my room is the issue as its a new build with a big double patio door and bare walls for now
I already have some acoustic panels behind my listening position as I brought them from the last houes

As I stated I am looking for a temporary solution as the room will be furnished and curtains will be bought…although I have just blown the budget on a new pair of headphones :grinning: :grinning:

I’ve never had a sibilance problem but what I have discovered is that the clarity and decay of voices, female voices specifically, are greatly influenced by how narrow the center imaging. Laser sharp pinpoint center gives me the best clarity but causes issues with anything panned hard R / L. Widening that center a bit gives me an overall better sound stage imaging (sound can come from beyond the width of the speakers) at the expense of a bit less pinpoint accuracy and clarity voices. It’s basically the difference between having a voice standing in my room singing to me and having a voice singing on a stage in a larger room singing to an audience. And, with the wider sound stage I hear a bit wider trailing off of the highs which some may consider sibilance.

I mention this because center imaging doesn’t require speaker movement beyond bringing them closer together / wider apart, toe in / out, and your seating distance relative to the front of the speakers. Of course you need to start with symmetry, that is, both speakers equal distance from side / front wall.

Anyway, that’s my free suggestion. You said you couldn’t move the speakers but most people have room to play with toe, distance between speakers, and their seating position. These things, in my experience, had a dramatic affect on clarity of vocals. Good luck.

1 Like

I would personally play with PEQ around 5-8k…
Or better yet, buy a USB microphone and measure your system/room using REW.