Here is a cheap and nice little tweak involving fiber

Hi,

Yes, we all know and agree that fibre and copper ethernet systems are perfect for delivering the data. My question was also concerning whether any potential noise on the ethernet line could affect the performance (SQ) of the network endpoint. With USB, I wouldn’t need any convincing or have difficulty to understand. With copper ethernet and it’s transformer isolation, I just wanted to know if the Lumin guys actually found specific noise that they could attribute to any differences in sound. Also, what frequency band does this noise typically reside in? Is the noise due to what ethernet cables might pick up? Is it because of the power supplies noise stuff that goes through the transformers like John Swenson said?

Wouldn’t it be good to actually have something empirical to look at in trying to understand what’s actually important and what’s not, rather than throwing money and equipment at it?

If you’re so concerned about electrical/galvanic isolation, why wouldn’t you drop this nonsense with UTP to fibre media converters and just simply switch everything over to Wi-Fi?

I tried WiFi but got dropouts. But it also have its own problems, besides less steady connection: how to convert to a steady and noise free ethernet signal, with a Ghz sender sitting less than 1 inch away.

Hello
I bought 2 MC100 CM and connected to my Rasperry PI3 which I face as Roon Bridge but when I plug in ethernet cable into the PI3 so can not find ROON PI3 ??
Anyone who knows why?

How are the switches on the backside plugged in and does it matter what patch cable you’re using? is now facing a CAT 6 sstp o, 5 m long.

Hi.
The optical interfaces only accept Giga-Ethernet. Your RasPI 3 will not do that directly. Only the latest iteration of the PI3 has the appropriate LAN-interface for this. I have learned it the hard way…

Cheers
Bernie

MC100CM / MC110CS support 100Mbps Fast Ethernet.
MC200CM / MC210CS support Gigabit Ethernet only - they do not support Fast Ethernet.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1135.html

Right. My setup uses the 210 series. Giga only…
Sorry for being so unprecise

Cheers
Bernie

Although I’ve yet to install it, for those of us who build their own machines -

I’ve been using FMCs for a couple of years and the improvement in my system is quite distinct. A couple of weeks ago, upon receipt of a new Uptone LPS 1.2, I decided to test my LPS1 on the downstream FMC before selling. Long story short, the LPS 1 isn’t going anywhere! Now, with the exception of subwoofers, my entire system from downstream FMC to loudspeakers is off grid and much better for it.

1 Like

DAC + Amps? Vinnie Rossie?

Correct, plus Utrarendu.

I also found that a DIY starquad DC umbilical cable between LPS1.2 and Ultrarendu discussed at length in the thread below brought a noticeable improvement.

1 Like

Hehe it’s an easy guess.

With the downstream FMC LPS-1, you’re using Uptone’s USD15 internally grounded SMPS right?

I’m using the ifi power supply that is still kicking around from my original Microrendu purchase because … why not! I’m not sure whether it makes any difference and haven’t tested it versus the regular USD15 PSU, but will get to it in due course when I try adding another starquad umbilical at the FMC as well.

On a point of idle speculation, it occurred to me that some systems may not reveal improvement from individual mains electrical isolation efforts if the same noise being isolated is still present in other components.

Alex and John (and others) will both tell you that’s one of the worst measuring SMPS’s they’ve tested. Even the old Mean Well is better they say. Their USD15 internally grounded SMPS is better designed. Especially with their LPS-1 and 1.2

Or when you replace your current FMC’s with the Uptone EtherRegens? Each will have an optical port, so a pair makes a pair of FMC’s…

1 Like

Your 1st problem is that you are probably using copper wire for your internet connection. Copper is introducing noise into your system. When I switched to 1G fiber network, SQ went way up when streaming for a number of reasons and the lack of noise was 1 of them.
Also, network speed wise, cat5 and above is all you need for 1G speeds. But you buy the cat7/cat8 cables for their terminations, not for the speed capability

Actually, while you may get 1GB speed on a CAT 5 cable over a short distance, CAT 5e is the only one that is rated and tested for 1GB speed. CAT 6 (and above) can handle 10 GB but it is unlikely anyone is going to invest in 10GB switches in their homes today. In addition to the speed, CAT 6 adds additional insulation between the wire pairs to cut down on crosstalk between them. All the cables use an RJ45 connecter but CAT 6 and CAT 7 do require different tools and techniques to terminate the twisted-pair cable onto the network connector interface.

Correct, I should have said cat5e and above. You can get 1G speeds with cat5 for shorter distances but the standard is cat5e and above for 1G speed. If I had cat5 throughout my house, I would still buy a 1G switch to connect them. Another big difference between cable types is the amount of twists per foot and the sheathing thickness. As for audio cat7/cat8 cables, some manufacturers put foil around each pair and then foil around all pairs. The terminations are much better compared to the normal plastic. Each plug is quite expensive compared to pennies for the plastic plugs.

In my case a tried a pair of TPLink converters and the results were not satisfactory, losing articulation in the bass and resulting in a music scene devoid of air, so I decided not to use them, in my setup “less is more”.