Hi-Res on Android? UAPP integration?

Android does resample all audio coming from the USB port to 48k.

Assuming that either 12 has now fixed this or the apps have found a way around it.

Still resamples on my Pixel 4 on 12 just tried it.with my Dragonfly

1 Like

OK no idea what’s going on then.

Edit: Someone on Reddit just confirmed they are getting results in Pixel 4A. Using a dragonfly, CD quality resamples but high res doesn’t (used a 96k stream).

I have 3 raspberry pi’s currently in-service as Roon endpoints. And I’ve actually got a 4th, but it isn’t in service anymore, because (for it’s particular application, the same application that I’d be most interested in having my android phone and/or tablet available for use as a proper bit-perfect endpoint) it simply wasn’t reliable in terms of signal quality and reliability (over wireless and via USB output). At a location in my house where my (android) phone, (android) tablet, and (windows) laptop all have reliable/steady signal strength and work very well as roon endpoints (except for the lack of bit-perfect output via Android… kinda the whole point to the suggestion).

Beyond that, it would simply add all kinds of flexability and convenience that a raspberry pi simply can’t.

That and, maybe just a minor quabble, but as I said I’ve purchased 4 raspberry pi’s for use as Roon endpoints, and none of them cost as little as $45 (by the time I was done getting everything I needed to pull it off, including SD cards, cases, and cables). For a few of them, in “higher priority” applications, I paid quite a bit more than $45…

Just to clarify, have they just increased the USB output to something lik 24/96 or 24/192 rather than 16/48 for everything, so that everything that used to come out ats 16/48 now just goes out at this new (higher bit depth and sample rate) output? OR does it now accurately output the exact same signal as the input (file) is… “bit-perfectly” without resampling, such that the output signal changes to match the native input file…?

Not for me it doesn’t same output for everything. Dragonfly stays blue.

1 Like

For me on the THX Onyx, I get yellow in high res via Apple Music and Qobuz.

I’m not familiar with the THX Onyz, but my Dragonfly Red will change colors based on whether it’s receiving a signal that is a 44.1 sample rate, 48 sample rate, 88.2 sample rate, or 96 sample rate… the fact that “44.1 files” come in both 16 bit and 24 bit flavors means that the dragonfly glows the same regardless (same sample rate either which way)… but it still can give me a feel for if the output signal is dynamically matching a changing input signal (if I play a 16/44.1 file first I get one color, and then if I switch to a 24/88.2 signal it’ll change colors, and so on).

Does the THX Onyx behave similarly? And if so, does it ONLY glow yellow (one color meaning one output no matter what the input is), or does the color change depending on what type of file you’re playing…

1 Like

Apologies should of clarified that.

Blue is 48k and below
Yellow is anything above 48k
Purple is MQA
Another colour for DSD

When I play high res I get yellow, switching to a 44 album I get blue.

1 Like

It depends on the device (and app) as Android hardware varies considerably (unlike Apple), so there is no one answer. There are devices that resample to either 48, 96 or 192 kHz, etc as well as devices that don’t resample at all. My point was that Android is no longer limited to 44.1 or 48 kHz by design. Roon should send the unaltered stream and let the device determine if resampling is needed for its’ hardware. Currently Roon is resampling audio at the core before sending it to Android.

Which android phones don’t resample out of the USB?

Roon gives us, the users, the ability to set “custom sampling rules” for endpoints like Google Chromecast Audios… I have Roon configured to convert all multiples of 44.1 to 44.1, and all multiples of 48 to 48, when playing back to a chromecast audio. It approves reliability, for me, with those devices…

At the very least it would be nice to see Roon give us that same capability with Android devices… the ability to let us choose custom sampling rules if and only if we want them…

3 Likes

They did. You used to be able to set the sampling rate. However, they changed it to the current setup. The thought being the RoonCore is much better setup to do the sampling changes…

I believe some Samsung phones, i.e. S21 are in that category based on reports. I don’t own one to test.

I have a Galaxy S21 Ultra. I’m in the office right now (away from my Dragonfly), and my kids have an “art show” tonight at their school… but I"ll try to get get a little time to myself to put these things to the test:

• S21 Ultra automagically switching output to matching input when using the Qobuz app
  • S21 Ultra (and Tab S6 tablet) and the ability to customize specific sampling rules within Roon before the core sends what it has to my phone…

I’ll report back what I find.

2 Likes

Which makes sense if (and only if) the resampling was actually needed… :sunglasses:

If none of us own the devices that do this wouldn’t it make more sense for Roon to just get with the times and play properly on Android like the rest of the apps?

Its obviously possible to get around the limitation.

1 Like

So I have just checked with my Samsung M11 with Android 11 connected to my Cayin RU6.
Strangely the RU6 always shows that everything is 24/192. :slight_smile:
Directly in Qobuz app or Qobuz in Roon, no matter if it is really 24/192 or 16/44 only, as if all would be upsampled. ???

Signal path in Roon shows upsampling even I have deactivated upsampling. :crazy_face:

So something in Android is forcing upsampling?
Can I check this somewhere in settings of Android (I am usually an iOS guy).

They did and it was garbage at playing back on most android devices back then as you got dropouts all the time. I think that’s why they went this root.

You device is reporting to Roon that the android audio stack is 192/24 so it will automatically upsample. It does this on certain Fiio DAP. For my DAP its 44.1/24 so Roon resamples everything above this to 44.1/24 below its native without resampling even 44.1/16