Hi-Res on Android? UAPP integration?

Please remember to vote with the blue button on the very top of this page:

Click here or scroll all the way up to find it!

I just voted.

It’s a bit disappointing to see another popular feature requested by many users being ignored by Roon.

Does anyone think this is due to commercial pressure by Roon’s partners?

Just imagine if all of the sudden all cheap Android devices can start to play audiophile quality bit-perfect audio, then what’s going to happen to all the expensive streamer, DAC, amp and audio makers that are Roon Tested or Roon Ready? It would cut into their market share hugely so Roon may not want to “anger” them?

If you look at the top 10 features by votes, a lot of them are delivered.

How does this make any sense when Roon Arc already supports bit perfect playback ?

1 Like

Replying to my own post from over a year ago, but I’m very pleased to report that Roon Labs has cracked this nut with Roon ARC, proving me wrong. :slight_smile:

My testing does, indeed, show bit-perfect playback of PCM content on Andriod. I need to re-test to see if DSD is working…was not last time I checked. Sound quality is as good as the external DAC that’s connected to my phone via OTG. I love it!

Now, if only ARC worked with Andriod Auto in my car…coming soon, I understand.

1 Like

Souns great! Would love this to work for me too.
Could you please explain how you got it to work?

I.e. is updating Roon ARC with latest beta on a Samsung S7 tablet and a USB-C to USB-B cable connected to DAC input all that should be needed?

Thanks

Hopefully the driver part they developed for ARC can be integrated in the Android Roon Bridge. Let’s hope they don’t forget users like us that have an Android based streaming device/endpoint instead of a phone (for which ARC is OK).
The Bridge seems to be the only part that is not yet Roon v 2.0 but hanging in there at 1.8 so fingers crossed.

158 feature votes and counting.

Meanwhile using RooUPNP but not overly happy with the buggy playcounter at the moment.

2 Likes

DSD64 playback works fine with USB-DAC, but there are some problems with DSD128. When I turn off the screen or minimize ARC with the Home/Apps buttons, the playback stops and when I try to resume it, I get an unexpected error message. I only have a few albums in this format, so I don’t mind the problem that much, but it does exist.

I have not been able to reproduce this issue with DSD128. As I type this on my Pixel 7 Pro, ARC is playing DSD128 via DoP (encapsulation) into an OTG-attached Khadas tea DAC/Amp. I’m able to switch off the display, use lock-screen controls, and switch among apps. Signal path shows “Lossless”

Could be that what you are seeing only happens with certain phone/DAC combinations. Not sure…

Maybe You right. So I must wait for app future improvements and maybe this problem on my phone will be solved.

I would like to take some of my music on the go, ie. walking, running, gardening, or just being outside, but since Room or Roon ARC downsample everything to 48kHz. is there a solution available that is not adding an external DAC (bulk)?

Is getting a DAP the only way to get to 96kHz? (But then I lose my phone capabilities)

I answered in your other post about DACs but for software:
USB Audio Player Pro.
Or if you enjoy tweaking and want ultimate sound quality (at the expensive of battery life):
Neutron Music Player.

1 Like

Not sure if I replied before.

I use an adroid phone + THX Onyx USB-dac (very small/light/versatile dongle) + (payed version of) USB Audio Player PRO + Sennheiser HD 560s

This combination plays all resolutions in my Qobuz subscription. Sounds great to me ‘on the run’. In busy environments you may prefer closed headphones.

Note for Tidal users…yes it also plays MQA

+1 for making me look up “boffin”. I’ll use that this week…

One more vote for lossless / bit-perfect on Android and one more thread on this topic - especially that Android 14 is there:
Why no bit-perfect playback from roon remote on local Android 14 device?

1 Like