Why no bit-perfect playback from roon remote on local Android 14 device?

Hi there,
I think the title says it all: more and more of us using roon remote on Android devices are now at Android 14 which is supposed to support bit-perfect audio. Still anything played from roon remote on the local Android 14 device with usb dac connected ends up sent to AAudio and resampled to 48 kHz as usual.
I am aware that we can get bit-perfect audio via roon arc but but roon arc has limited functionality compared to roon remote so so why do I have to use roon arc when am on the same network as my roon server?
I hoped that with Android 14 we will get bit-perfect playback from roon remote (like it is on iOS) but the feature is not there.
Does anyone know if this feature is expected to come to us, Android 14 users?

1 Like

The fact it’s only one version of the os and many don’t have devices that support it makes it a tricky one to implement. Easy on iOS as it’s always been the same in this regards to external devices but internally it resamples the same as Android. Even on Android 14 you will find devices that don’t behave as you would expect and will resample as they always had. Ideally it needs an option that you can disable Roons internal resampling and let the os takeover, but last time Roon was like this on Android it was a terrible buggy experience.

It still is on ARC on Google phones with dongle DACs.
I have 2 pixel phones with 3 dongle DACs and they pretty much all crash.

My OnePlus 9 pro worked very reliably before I smashed it though :angry: