Hi-rez foolishness

Yes - definitely, but DXD would be even better! :smiley:

1 Like

Only because Captain Beefheart isn’t in the list! :grinning::grinning:

If you do indeed have excellent hearing capacity, and the entire chain you have is top notch (all the way to the room treatment), then yes, it does make a difference.

For many recordings I absolutely CAN tell the difference between high-res and CD-quality, and even more so with DSD if the original material was pure analog and you get recordings from labels that commit to an analog chain (most of my Bill Evans recordings). Also, headphone setups can be even more revealing with some recordings.

I’m very happy with Qobuz, and I gladly pay what they ask for a product that satisfy my needs. If you don’t care, you don’t want it, or you don’t hear the difference, you are absolutely welcome not to buy their product, but if there is a market (and there is), I welcome companies that want to satisfy it.

3 Likes

@Ramiro_Salas

I think you are missing my point. But yes.

Hear hear!

So if they removed it you want a .00015 cent per month refund from your subscription? Sorry, nobody is making you listen to it, buy it, or add it to your library. There are literally millions of titles on Qobuz I have no interest in (anything in any format by G’n’R being one of them). But they come ‘free’ with the subscription. So what’s the problem again?

2 Likes

Well said Hi rez

Does the world really need this discussion?

3 Likes

As far as how it was recorded, you’re here talking about it and you don’t know? Sorry you can’t hear a difference.

Did u find a friend?

2 Likes

That depends on what Master they have taken this recording from. If they’ve taken it from a low-res Master, then “no”. Equally, if it is taken from a poor quality master, even a high-res poor quality master, then, again, “no”. In both these cases, it will be a poor recording. If, however, they’ve taken it from a high quality master and taken the trouble to record it well, then it should also be a high quality recording, in which case, “yes”. To hear the difference, we will need to use suitably high quality play-back equipment, of course.

This whole idea of listening to music you actually like is so anti audiophile! Why would someone want to have an emotional experience listening to loud 80s rock when they can spin 180 gram pressings of Diana Krall s’wonderful with their heads in a vice to ensure not disturbing the imaging, staging and “warmth” that their carefully matched system has been optimized to flush out?

-A recovering audiophile

6 Likes

My Meridian system makes the best of anything you throw at it. So I have been enjoying Ian Dury and the Blockheads in glorious MQA followed by Elles Bailey, Angel Snow and now Melody Gardot. I may play some Uriah Heep soon… hmmm

Yes. It might sound harsh, otherwise.

Also, Slow Hand by Eric Clapton in 24/192. Recorded in 1977.

According to various notes on the interwebs, this was “remastered” from the original 1/4" master tapes.

Seems like 24/192 far exceeds the dynamic range and frequency response of any recording equipment that existed in 1977.

So what’s in the extra bits?

3 Likes

Is it really necessary to pollute so many threads with your Meridian and MQA advertising?

5 Likes

In this particular case nothing.

At least the file sold by Qobuz is simply upsampled from a digital 16/44.1 master and not better sounding than the CD.

4 Likes

What’s with the attitude…? MQA is a thing and I enjoy it. I do not complain and the mention of DSD or super High Res. You really are going to have to get over it I think.

I know that it has become fashionable to dismiss Diana Krall’s music as worthless audiophile fodder- but it’s awfully tiresome. Need to find another trope.

2 Likes

A well known audio engineer had an online survey for determining which tracks were hi res and which were Red Book CDA files. You downloaded the files, listened and chose which ones were hi res. We all know the results of the survey.

2 Likes