Hifiberry DAC+ and Hifiberry Amp2 Question

In its simplest terms I want to be sure that I understand the Hifiberry DAC+ Pro and Hifiberry Amp2 boards. Is it accurate to say that this combination is somewhat analogous to a traditional separate consumer amp and preamp set up? In other words, I would need a RPi with an Amp2 HAT and a RPi with a DAC+ Pro to build a small system using both. I assume I’m right in my thinking that it’s not like you can add a DAC+ Pro HAT on top of an Amp2 HAT on the same Pi.

Probably a very naive set of questions/statements, but I’m just being honest and willing to put my ignorance out there :slight_smile: I know I’m still missing the larger issue of how you even get these two things to talk to each other.

From the HiFiBerry site:

the Amp2 is basically a DAC+ with an integrated power stage.

So if you got that, you don’t need the DAC+ Pro, I think.

The HiFiBerry DAC+ is the transport and DAC in one. You just connect the single ended analog outs to an amplifier.
The HiFiBerry AMP is the transport, DAC and amp in one. You can connect it to small speakers.
I have two HiFiBerry Digi+ that I connect to DACs and a HiFiBerry DAC that I use with a headphone amp.
Hope that helps.

1 Like

Makes total sense. Clearly I was not reading the Amp2 description properly.

Thanks for the clarification.

I had exactly the same question. I am considering this combination for a pair of in-wall speakers but I’m not sure if this amp will drive them.
These are the speakers in question

I don’t think it would be enough power. The HiFiBerry Amp can output up to 25w. The Jamo needs at least 60w.

1 Like

Really? The linked specs say that power handling is 60w, so 25w should be fine, no? Sensitivity stated at 90db.

3 Likes

The Amp2 should be able to drive those Jamo speakers, but not for use in a large room or movie soundtracks. I am working on a build right now to drive a pair of 90’s-vintage B&W DM302 bookshelf speakers with an Amp2. They are 8 Ohm and sensitivity is rated at 91 dB. I will not be playing them to loud levels, so I am expecting a good result :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s 60w total (=30wpc). And that’s at 0.1% THD. More realistically, you don’t want to ask more than 25wpc from the AMP2. Here’s the Spec sheet from TI on the digital amplifier chip used.

Still, a marvel from a board little bigger than the size of a credit card.

1 Like

25 wpc might be fine for what he is trying to do :slight_smile:. Definitely not to be considered for serious listening… I’ll let everyone know how my build works.

1 Like

I completed this project, though not as planned initially - I decided not to cram the board in the in-wall box and I have simply replaced the old amp/chromecast with the Raspberry Pi+Hifibery Amp2. It drives the speakers just fine; you can’t crank high volume out of them but for the intended use it’s totally fine. I actually never even use the max volume since I listen mostly at night

1 Like

Thanks for posting. My setup is working fine as well. I must admit, I’m pretty surprised at how well the Amp2 drives these B&W passive speakers.

1 Like

I have an AMP2 driving a pair of in ceiling speakers in the bathroom, normally just to listen to the radio. For that purpose it has been excellent, and about -30db volume setting is usually enough. its compactness is a marvel.

Either that or just use a basic RPi with Ropieee and a tiny cheap USB DAC connected to an old amp or powered speakers (eg an old iPod dock with a line in socket, in my case) which is ample for that sort of background listening. I am sure that the DAC+ Pro is a high quality DAC, and I have 2 of them for similar non hifi listening, but with hindsight it was overkill for that purpose.

I just added the amp2 to my Raspberry 3b and attached my favourite vintage speakers, the B&W Matrix 3, 3 way system, sensitivity 90dB, recommended power 50-200 Watts. They sound great!

3 Likes