HifiBerry DAC+ Pro

Hi everyone. This is my first post on Roon’s boards. I’m a new Roon user but very savvy in the Audio and Linux realm.

I have a question about HAT support. Does RoPieee support HifiBerry DAC+ Pro? I don’t see it on the hardware list, only the DAC+.

While we are on the HAT subject… Do you think Hifiberry is the way to go? Or should I look at other HATs for my RoPieee Roon endpoint?

1 Like

Hi @Jeff_Botts,

Yes it does. I’ll update the hardware list. Just select the DAC+.

Thanks!

1 Like

Updated the list.

And wrt your second question… that’s very personal. It depends on what you want. If you require a DAC then this HAT is perfect. If you have a stand-alone DAC then I would suggest to look at a ‘transport-only’ HAT like the HifiBerry Digi+ or Allo’s DigiOne.

Regards Harry

I already have a stand alone DAC. I’m going to use the Oppo Sonica mainly. I also have a few other DACs I’m going to try it with too. Burson Conductor V2+, and MHDT LAB Atlantis, et al. I’m mainly going to use the endpoint for USB <-> Ethernet but I want to try a Pi DAC to see what they are like.

@Jeff_Botts I love my Allo Boss DAC, and I’ve seem some good reviews on it.
There are a lot of reviews out there, also on youtube.

1 Like

The BOSS does review well. Thank you for the recommendation.

Where can you buy the Allo BOSS in the US?

They sell via their website: allo.com

1 Like

OK. I’ll check that out. Thanks for all of your help.

Order placed… Be back soon with impressions.

I have to say that Roipeee is a very nice upgrade to my listening with Roon. It’s removed the pops and clicks I was seeing when my DACs were connected directly to my PC.

I tried a few other Pi distros and they didn’t have the same audio quality that RoPieee offers with Roon. I’m very impressed.

I’m waiting for a linear power supply for my Ropieee now to see if this makes a difference.

Thank you for the excellent audiophile Pi distro!

1 Like

I have Rasperry Pi 3 + Hifiberry DAC + Pro and it works great! even DS256 playback (not native) works very well! great product! highly recommended!

3 Likes

Hi Maarten

Roon’s conversions sound great but it looks like your DSD256 is being converted to PCM there.

I wouldn’t worry unless you had a large DSD collection but just wanted to mention it.

From memory, the DAC+ Pro isn’t capable of DSD playback at all.

If you are taking about “native dsd playback” then you are right, but I don’t mind that it has to be “native” , better a good sounding Burr Brown PCM DAC that plays DSD Converted by ROON to the highest PCM rate supported by the DAC, then a ESS DSD “native” dac, that sounds artificial, and unrealistic, my HifiBerry DAC+ Pro connected to my Yarland tube amplifier sounds very, very good to my ears!

1 Like