HiFiBerry DAC2 HD

I have a Raspberry Pi4 with a HiFiBerry DAC2 HD and running HiFiBerryOs. When I change bitrate from one track to another, there is a loud pop. From what I understand from this support threat https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360013022178-DAC2-HD-pops-between-tracks, this is a known problem on the DAC2 HD, and it is told that HiFiBerry will do nothing to sort it out, as it is “by design” and not a fault (!). Before I throw the DAC2 HD out, I would like to hear if anyone in here has found a solution.

I have tried all versions of the HiFiBerryOs (I have also tried Ropieee but could not make Roon se the DAC2 HD).

It makes no difference if I’m on cabled network og WIFI.

If no solution, what should I buy instead?

I have 3 of these - although they only drive in wall / ceiling speakers.

I just set roon to upsample to 192. I’ sure this doesn’t improve the sound - but I suspect it doesn’t degrade it either. For my use it wouldn’t really matter though.

It does avoid any clicks though!

2 Likes

When I had the DAC 2 HD I did what @GregD did. Let Roon resample to a bit rate that you feel good about (I really can’t tell the difference between 48, 96, or 192 and probably even 44.1). If you want to ditch the HD2 and HiFiBerry then you could give the Innomaker RPI HiFi DAC Pro a try, linked here. I did some measurements of that DAC that Arch posted on his blog, also linked here. It measures better than the HiFiBerry and doesn’t have that sample rate change problem. Resampling works just fine but something just didn’t sit well with me having to do a software workaround for something that I think that HiFiBerry should resolve.

Thank you very much. Yes, I’m aware of the upsampling workaround, but I’m running ROCK fanless in a Akasa casing, so I do not want to run it hot, only because I made a fault buying HiFiBerry.

I’ll look into Innomaker. What OS should I run on that one?

In the Netherlands the IQaudio DAC Pro is also an option.

Upsampling pcm takes very little cpu.

I also have a nuc in an Akasa case - and even multiple zones is no issue (and I also use convolution room correction filters on my DAC2HD zones).

DSD upsampling is a different story!

Thank you. What OS do you use?

Ok, I was not aware of that. This could be a temporary solution, but I’m kind of mad at HiFiBerry for selling an expensive DAC whit loud pops “by design” :frowning:

I don’t use it anymore and didn’t use it with Roon which I started using later. But I think it will work with Ropieee. You can ask Harry, the developer.

Thank you, I will look into Ropieee if I go with the iQaudio