HiFiBerry Digi+ Standard

You have that right and easy to set up.
In my rig I found that using hat w coax improved sound over the usb at nominal cost. The pi2 design is where I ended up as best, but more$$.

But HiFiBerry Digi + Pro is half the price. Donā€™t you think so that in digital domain things are like with a watch - the one for $ 50 samely as the one for $ 5000 will let you catch the trainā€¦ But jewelry is jewelry :wink:

Hi Anna, my advice would be to start with what you have and then take it from there.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, all.

At the moment, the setup I have works perfectly. Rasberry Pi 3 B+ going into my DAC via USB. This is all digital so Iā€™m failing to see what could be improved, unless Iā€™m not understanding things correctly.

There are no dropouts and the signal path is showing lossless.

Surely there can be no benefit from getting the SPDIF hat and going into the Pioneer from that?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi Anna, you could get a pre-done kit, the Allo DigiOne which I use is very good.

Hi Anna,
You are fine. Some here might see concerns that your RPi is connected without galvanic (or optical) separation to your DAC. As long as you do not experience a matter your setup is fine. In case you would hear hum, noiseā€¦ you could improve by isolating the usb e.g. with optical or galvanic isolators. But same as I experience in one of my setups to a DAC if there is not problem, your setup is fine and all further measures are either a ā€˜tranquilleizerā€™ for the nervous or a waste.

Thatā€™s the key thing as far as the Piā€™s bandwidth goes. You might get one or two if youā€™re keen on hi sample rates. 96/24 and lower should be fine.

Digital SQ is a can of worms but as long as the Pioneer USB input is properly implemented youā€™re right. As @streamy68 suggests, trust your ears :slight_smile:

There are people who think the somewhat more ancient, in digital lifetimes, S/PDIF protocol ā€œsounds betterā€ than the somewhat more modern USB Audio 2 protocol, just as there are folks who think vinyl is superior to CD. I donā€™t. Lots of ghosts and goblins in the audiophile world, if youā€™re susceptible to them.

3 Likes