High CPU usage of remote in Wine since Build 903 - some affected users but apparently not everyone

True. I guess the wine version hypothesis took a big hit when my wine-stable and wine-dev showed the same behavior :slight_smile:

Let’s decide for one thread to post in, this or the generic “Linux Control GUI” one, all info about hardware and drivers should be in one place, I suppose. I vote for this one because the other one has a broader topic.

From the other thread:

That’s what I thought yesterday, that I didn’t have it immediately after installing with your script, but it started after changing a setting. But I was tired and am not even sure I checked the CPU load in top and may have relied on the audible fans - and maybe they came on later. I am not convinced now that a fresh install today showed the same high load immediately with default settings.

Also from the other thread to keep info in one place:

My machine
Dell XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 laptop
8th Gen Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
4K screen

Graphics (issue occurs with both):
Intel HD Graphics 630 onboard (and running the Gnome GUI)
Radeon RX Vega M Graphics (optional)

Ubuntu 21.10
Linux 5.13.0-28-generic x86_64
Xorg 1:7.7+22ubuntu2
Intel graphics drivers: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.917+git20200714-1ubuntu2
libosmesa6 21.2.6-0ubuntu0.1
Gnome as per Ubuntu default

The Roon Core is ROCK on a NUC.
~2.8K albums, 36K tracks, local, Qobuz, and Tidal

Issue occurs on the Dell since Roon build 903 update. Using more than 1 CPU core between Roon.exe (~83%) and wineserver64 (~32%). Happens with these configs I tried:

• wine-stable 5.0.3 (Ubuntu 5.0.3-3ubuntu2)
  • wine-development 6.0 (Ubuntu 6.0+repack-1ubuntu1)
  • self installed 32-bit Roon in 32-bit wine-prefix, Win 10, .NET 4.5.2 (this was the install that has worked since 1.5 years and all Roon updates from 1.7 and 1.8)
  • roon-on-wine script by spockfish in vanilla install and default settings. With and without Qobuz and Tidal login. With and without a scalefactor setting for my 4K display
  • both graphics cards

Is anyone handy with profiling wine? Might be helpful to know where wineserver spends its time. I’d have to read up and unfortunately won’t have much time until next weekend