High resolution audio from Amazon

It works already on Bluesound as they all ready had Amazon Music .

1 Like

Iā€™m streaming 96/24 from Amazon as we speak.

1 Like

Can I ask how you are doing this? Some implementation of Blusound or running a computer direct to DAC or preamp?

By running Amazon Music using the Bose Soundtouch app (iPad, iPhone, or computer) that sends the signal via WIFI to my Bose sound system. Also, this VERY moment, Iā€™m using the Amazon Music app on my iPhone with a Dragonfly Cobalt and Sony headphones.

Both my Bose and Dragonfly are limited to 96/24. So, Iā€™m getting same results with Amazon Music as I get with Tidal and Qobuz, although I do enjoy the punch of the Tidal MQA.

It would seem to me that Amazon entering the market places the future of Tidal and Qobuz in jeopardy. It also puts an additional downward pressure on prices amidst ongoing concerns about the percentage revenue from streams that is reaching artists. As someone who has steamed music almost exclusively via Roon/Tidal for years this is not good. I was actually optimistic that the business would correct itself and find a new model where artists were compensated more fairly and Tidals prices would actually rise to accommodate.

As much as I love Amazonā€™s quality and convenience - they can be ruthless to the competition. And yes, I understand that I could go back to buying CDs that will clutte my home and eventually landfills - but I was hoping for a better outcome.

What will happen now?

Not via the Amazon app your not. Its fixed to system audio so not bit perfect it will either be upsampling or downsampling to iphones native rate or max rate of the dragonfly. It also doesnt appear do sample rate switching. The cobalt may be limited to 96/24 but mqa unfolds higher from less so you get higher from Tidal than the others.

1 Like

Remember that this is false. There is no actual content >24/96 (lossy) with MQA ā€œunfoldingā€. Itā€™s just dirty upsampling.

7 Likes

Iā€™m listening to Amazon 192/24 recording getting down converted to 96/24 by my Bose. With Tidal and Qobuz I get 96/24 max due to limitations of the Bose or Dragonfly Cobalt. Tidal streams it at 48/24 and the first unfold is to 96/24.

Iā€™ve got a couple months to decide, but based on just a few hours with Amazon HD, I plan to cancel Tidal, Qobuz, and Roon. Why pay $55 for no better result than Amazon HD for $15. If I had a $20,000 or more system, maybe I would make a different decision.

The other thing is Roon is full of delays while Amazon flows smoothly with no delays.

The app is reporting Track Quality 24/192, Device Capability 24/96, Currently playing at 24/96.

I have Amazon Ultra HD Audio which is up to 192/24.

as for the so called ā€œfreeā€ trial

I signed up yesterday thinking whatā€™s to lose with a free trial. Then I see a $7.99 charge from Amazon Music on my credit card today. I call and am told that the HD trial is free but you have to have a $7.99 unlimited account to get the free trial. Of course, I ask how can it be free when I get charged $7.99? They said again, only free if you pay for unlimited

I canceled and got my $7.99 back

first they have a setting that says you get HD downloads when it turns out that is not actually a download even when you pay for the song like I foolishly did, it is only for offline listening, any actual download is low resolution MP3, now this

f**k em, Iā€™m done with em

2 Likes

You have to go to settings and tell it you want to download the HD/Ultra HD. Otherwise, it defaults to Standard. There is also something called Space Saver.

I have no charges from Amazon, but I do have $45 charged from Tidal and Qobuz. Roon is still free.

Downloads from all streaming services are for off-line listening. They go away if you drop the service.

Well, not for much longer. Streaming is forcing CDs off the market; CD pressing facilities are closing down due to lack of business.

Amazonā€™s move makes complete sense. They are already streaming MP3s (and selling downloads of them), so why not move upmarket with a premium charge and see what they can sell? Maybe they already had the digital masters of the music, and were constructing the MP3 versions on the fly from themā€¦

Downloads from all streaming services are for off-line listening. They go away if you drop the service.

not correctā€¦ you can ā€œdownloadā€ a song file to your hard drive that you can keep if you purchase it inside of Amazon HD, it does not go away after you purchase the song even if you cancel the streaming service, and you can select to ā€œdownloadā€ in HD from the new Amazon HD serviceā€¦ but what you get is an MP3 fileā€¦

I understand what is happening, but when you can select ā€œdownload in HDā€ within the HD app after you pay for the song and get an MP3 it is even if not intentional very misleading

Yes, you have to purchase it, not just download it.

Do you have the new Amazon Ultra HD service? I seriously doubt you purchase an Ultra HD version and get an MP3.

The Store says MP3 albums $5.00. Did you pay more than $5.00 for an album.

OK, I see where other albums have different prices, but I donā€™t see anywhere it says what resolution they are.

doubt all you want, but when you purchase a song from the HD service and download it you get an MP3 file

try it, at $1.29 a song what is the downside? BTW the same price they charge for an MP3 song

Hi
Donā€™t think Qobuz will ever drop their priceā€¦ they are still climbing the mountain after a very difficult startā€¦but I could be wrongā€¦

I have no reason to buy music at any price.

2 Likes

Even live on stage?