High resolution audio from Amazon

I didn’t say they weren’t. :roll_eyes:

Amazon HD is a game-changer, hopefully, a change for the better. If they put Tidal and Qobuz out of business and at the same time give the artists even smaller revenues that’s a change for the worse.

No, they don’t, as a large AWS user I can confirm that Amazon has no legal access to your data per contracts. Do you think the banks and government agencies who use AWS would let Amazon snoop their data?

3 Likes

No.

AWS is a true platform with proper privacy controls. Don’t just say things you know nothing about.

Thought I would share, Amazon Music App via Windows 10 playing through an ifi DAC/USB.

1 Like

A) I was kind of joking, so there’s no need to be quite so patronizing

B) we are talking about the company that employs hundreds of people to listen to people’s conversations via Alexa. There is no reason to suppose they can trusted with anything. Including your data. (Not to mention paying fair taxes.)

C) since amazon will charge on the basis of the amount of data streamed they will indeed have a very good idea of how much business Tidal is doing.

1 Like

Again… You don’t know what you’re talking about. It is scaremongering to just be saying AWS is an untrustworthy platform.

And no, they do not need to know ANYTHING about TIDAL’s business, it is entirely up to TIDAL to request the required storage/bandwidth/processing power.

1 Like

Enough of this foolishness already.

… so Amazon will know Tidals bandwidth and thus will be able to hazard a decent guess at the amount of business they do …

Even if this is true, it that doesn’t mean they know what Tidal users are listening to.

Alexa has ears :wink:

True, I’m glad I don’t have Alexa in my listening room. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Miguel

Perhaps if you had a decent system you’d be able to appreciate MQA…:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

(that’s a joke folks before I get flamed to a tinder :slight_smile:)

Phil

2 Likes

Mmm, not funny, even if your assumption is true. Every time those 3 letters are mentioned, things get quickly controversial. I regret replying as well. Enjoy the music :slight_smile:

The conversations about data are humorous, at this point, in 2019. None of you use a smartphone, or an e-mail address? No social media to look at pictures of your grandchildren?

Everyone knows what you are doing, pretty much at all times, unless you are completely unplugged, and even then, your fridge probably has a wi-fi transmitter.

2 Likes

More a comment on Miguel’s stellar system than Voldemort (he who’s name shall not be mentioned).

3 Likes

That says nothing at all about MQA, but a great deal about Amazon’s attitude towards its customers.

Hmmm…Roon uncompresses MP3 files (and AAC, FLAC, etc.), but no sample rate conversion is involved unless you explicitly enable it in DSP settings.

Yeah, that quote was awhile ago (in the controversial MQA thread?), but I think I was making the point that Amazon was saying that many people can’t hear the MQA difference.

My understanding is that MP3 has no inherent bit depth (and I presume no inherent sample rate, especially for VBR recordings) as the compressed data is frequency-domain samples. The decoding software attempts to reconstruct a PCM stream that conforms to the encoded samples. (Could be wrong about that.)

See update re. Fire TV:

UPDATE/CORRECTION: Fire TV app plays HD files and ULTRA HD files in 16/44.1 over HDMI. (My receiver reports it as 48K, though.)