High resolution audio from Amazon

I want a family membership. Whether it’s for two people or six people, it’s $20. As is Qobuz.

Looking at the logos for the launch partners, third party access to Amazon’s servers for this service had to be in alpha/beta testing for months. The omission of Roon is concerning but I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough what’s going on. Currently, Roon is the hub for all HiRes audio listening in my house…even my wife and teenage daughter use it. We have streaming through Tidal and we still keep Apple Music around as well.

Honestly if Amazon Hd ends Tidal , the value of a Roon subscription , at least for me drops significantly . I listen mostly to Tidal , maybe 80 percent of the time , 20 percent to my 600 gb library .

2 Likes

I just tried Amazon Music HD on my iMac and couldn’t get it to automatically change the sample rate. And had similar issues with it on the iPhone.

I’ll stick with Qobuz unless Amazon gets integrated with roon. Maybe this could be the reason roon’s upgrade has taken so long. Couldn’t release until Amazon launched first. This of course is just wishful thinking.

2 Likes

Just curious, in what way you suggest Amazon HD is an inferior service compared to Tidal.
I have a list of “favorites” on Qobuz, I compared those albums and most of them has 96/24, same as what I found in Qobuz, some even has higher bitrate than Qobuz.

1 Like

Music might surprise us soon and go to lossless and even high-res as a response to Amazon. I hope the team at Roon is prepared.

It’s a known fact that  requests 24bit high-res tracks from the studios as part of their program, but are just not streaming them currently. All they have to do is flip a switch (basically).

Just signed up for the trial. So far it’s pretty impressive. Lots of hi-rez music. Problem is, I need it to play to my various endpoints and without Roon, I currently have no way to do that. Also, Roon’s interface is far superior to Amazon’s app.

4 Likes

folks any idea,how you guys playing amazon HD hi res to a hifi system?
i can understand airplay or chromecast
how do you achieve a bit perfect playback or atleast cd quality playback.

1 Like

I wonder if the client works with ropieee DLNA or Airplay points

That is my biggest concern . And now I think it is more likely that Apple and Spotify get into offering hi res which would make it even more difficult for Tidal & Qobuz to survive.

IOS client works with Airplay points.

If Qobuz goes I will have no good reason to use Roon. Glad I didn’t spring for a lifetime sub.

1 Like

Why do you use it today when you could just use the Qobuz app?

Because it integrates my own rips with my Qobuz favourites into one library, and has a decent remote app for my iPad. Qobuz is a stand alone product, and doesn’t have a remote app. Also Roons focus has no equivalent in Qobuz, though annoyingly Qobuz’ search can be better than Roon’s.

3 Likes

So Roon has some value beyond streaming integration then.

1 Like

No, without streaming integration Roon offers me nothing. If I just wanted to manage my own library I would use JRiver. The search and customization options suit my needs and tastes far better. I live with what Roon does because of it’s integration with Qobuz. No Qobuz, bye bye Roon unless there’s a replacement streaming service.

2 Likes

Amazon Echo Link has digital outputs…

That device is still no solution on the hardware side. Limited to 96 kHz.
If you want 24/192, you have to connect your PC via a DAC to your HIFI.
Cromecast is limited to 96 kHz.
Bluesound is a possibility. But you still can not overcome the Amazon Music software.

Right now Amazon Music HD is a no go for me.

2 Likes

Darko argues for the survival of Tidal, et.al. -

1 Like

I would agree with this analysis.