Homepod via Iphone

Hallo everyone, i searched a little bit for an answer but the ones i founded are very tecnical, i got for a birthday present a pair of very nice apple homepods 2 and the sound is really something… just wondering, playing roon via iphone 12 what khz or bit am i streaming?
just can’t get it… (probably is a stupid question but i’m not very god with this stuff…)
Thank you very much

Are they connected through AirPlay? Then it’s 16/44.1 I think.

i hoped that with airplay 2 it could at least get a 24/96…

Roon only supports AirPlay 1

I like the home pods (got 4 minis). But I have doubts I could tell wether it’s red book , AAC or high res what’s playing.

even if i stream it via iphone or ipad?

AirPlay or AirPlay 2 doesnt support anything higher than 44.1 music, AirPlay itself has a max of 48/24 currently but that’s mainly for AV sound not music. If you’re using Roon to stream to an AirPlay device it will will be legacy AirPlay. Only an iOS or MacOS device can initiate an AirPlay 2 stream using the system audio of the device. Roon doesn’t use system audio for this as it’s a multiplatform system so would limit its customers usage. They reversed engineered the original Airplay code to include it in their code and allowed any operating system to use AirPlay. This has not been achieved for AirPlay 2 as it has lots of security and drm things that make it hard to do.

1 Like