Horsepower: i3, i5, i7, i9, Nucleus or Nucleus+ — less is more!

I’ve been on a Guy Clark, and Townes Van Zandt kick when I have been working in the shop this week. Texas singer/songwriters can really strike a cord with me for some reason.

Sheldon

Yep, as a native Texas who saw all those folks live in their prime (and beyond their prime in the case of Townes), I have a soft spot in my heart for Texas “progressive country” artists. And if you haven’t yet, check out any of the last 10 albums of Ray Wylie Hubbard. And for Jim_F and Beatles interest, Ray Wylie’s latest album has Ringo Starr playing on it… (and I thought everyone loved the Beatles…who would make fun of that???) :stuck_out_tongue:

I was a drummer. Ringo was/is not a great drummer, but the Beatles were a great band IMHO.

yep, it was all downhill after Pete Best. :wink:
Anyhow, way off topic now. The mods will be deleting stuff soon…

He’s not even the best drummer IN the Beatles…

Will do, thanks for the tip.

Sheldon

No need for them to be ‘guilty’ pleasures - we like what we like and life’s too short! Cheers!

The Dixie Chicks were originally a kitschy bluegrass band here in Dallas. I saw them live at an outdoor “busking”-type concert just after they first got together in the late 80s / early 90s and they were wonderful.

Their first two albums (Thank Heavens for Dale Evans and Little Ol’ Cowgirl) are probably the ones the OP was talking about - don’t seem to be available anywhere, so I’m glad I still have my MP3 rips :confused: At some point, I’ll find my CDs (somewhere) and re-rip in lossless format for good :wink:

1 Like
2 Likes

Nucleus + handling 700 K library with no issues. upgrade to 256 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM cost me about $200.

What was the experience like with 8GB RAM? Why did you feel the need to upgrade RAM?

you will fill the 8gb if you cross 300k-500k tracks (depends on metadata). given that less than 0.1% of our users have that size library, I think its ok to say 8GB is good enough and only the most extreme libraries require more.

if you ‘fill’ it, the Core will continuously crash

1 Like

Thanks. Have Roon metadata storage requirements grown over the last few years? When I started with ROCK 3 years ago, I’m sure that 8GB RAM was good enough for even the 0.1% ers?

Asking because 270k tracks and 8GB RAM. No crashes but I get the feeling ROCK starts to slow down after about 30 days uptime. Restarting Roon server usually restores performance.

1 Like

Basically unusable.

You folks at ROON were very helpful in working through my problems even using a hi-power dedicated iMac as my core, and in advising me how to resolve them by upgrading my Nucleus +. It’s a simple and relatively cheap alternative to get full performance out of your marvellous software and hardware.

1 Like

Yes, for example…

• with the introduction of our Valence technology, we get a lot more credits data.
  • more lyrics
  • time-coded lyrics
  • more dates
  • better classical structure data

and more over the years im failing to name off the top of my head…

As we get better and more data, it’ll use more resources.

2 Likes

Fair enough then, looks like a 16GB upgrade is on the cards. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The metadata and data base management and cross-linkages are among the best parts of Roon

1 Like

I’ve been saying that on other forums (DIYAudio, I’m looking at you). People get hung up on the bit squirting aspects of these streaming software packages (JRiver, LMS, etc) and the GUI. But completely neglect to see the power of what sets Roon apart: The discovery, metadata addition, and linking of music. That was the biggest thing that made me want to buy Roon. I can squirt bits around with iTunes or any of the other methods, but nobody else can help me find great new music.

Now we just need more liner notes.

Sheldon

2 Likes

I spent last week in my car for a cross-country road trip. Spotify and user curated playlists dominated my listening time in the car. I barely touched my own local library (20K tracks on a thumb drive in the car’s USB port). I had friends sending me their own playlists via WhatsApp … a tap on the link and it’s in my “library” and playing through my car with Android Auto.

I love Roon and it’s the center of my 2-channel and head-fi listening experience at home. But Spotify music discovery crushes Roon, so I have a Bluesound Node 2i attached to my 2-channel system, just for Spotify playback (I use a Bel Canto e.One Stream for Roon, which doesn’t support Spotify).

1 Like

I also feel as if there is a slowing of the Core within a ROCK server after about 30-days as well.

Now I did document and report an issue, about a year ago, with search on the Core after about 23 days uptime, which was fixed in a past build and I don’t see that anymore. However, what I feel is that the ‘snappiness’ of the response from the Core to commands is dulled after about 30-days of uptime. A quick reboot and this is restored.

My current library is 86k tracks, so no where near the requirement for 16GB in the NUC, but not sure this is a RAM resource issue, as there are no indication of RAM or CPU load utilisation.