Roon Version 2.0 (build 1148)
RoonOS Version 1.0 (build 254)
OS Version Roon OS 1.0 (build 175) stable

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ISP Xfinity Gigabit 1.2gbps
Home wired with CAT6
Router Asus RT-AX88U (no switch between router and Nucleus or RS150B) CAT6

Connected Audio Devices

Nucleus>USB3.0>Hifi_Rose_RS150B>XLR>YAMAHA_AS2200>Blue_Jeans_Cables>Buchardt_S400MKII

Hifi Rose RS150B, system 4.3, firmware XMOS 3142

Number of Tracks in Library

Streaming only

Description of Issue

Ran a quick test focused on iPhone heat generated while using the Roon App compared to Rose App. Phone sat on a 77F wood table during test. Started same song on both apps and allowed the apps to continue playing related content no physical interaction. Used an IR thermometer for testing.

Closed all apps and took starting temp: 86.1F
Ran Rose App and played music for 30 minutes: 86.3F
Ran Rose App with Roon App open in the background (unused) for 15 minutes: 92.4F
Closed all apps and ran Roon App only for 15 minutes: 105.4F
Switched Roon App from light to dark theme
Ran Roon App for 15 minutes: 109.5F
Closed Roon App
Ran Rose App for 5 minutes: 96.7F
After another 15 minutes: 86.4F

Temp was taken in the same location on the phone screen each time. Shown in photo.

Curious what’s causing this heat when the phone is “just” controlling a Nucleus that should be doing all the heavy lifting.

What are your iPhone details. Model, iOS version and also Roon Remote app version.

Thanks

iPhone 13 Pro
iOS 16.1 (20B82)

Running Roon 2.0 build 1148

I have i devices on current and beta iOS from the iPhone 11, iPad Mini 5th gen and SE2. Also previously had an iPhone 13 Pro Max.

I don’t recall them getting that warm as yours.

Not saying yours isn’t, but a quick search may suggest the 13 Pro does get quite warm under some circumstances. Worth a read of the below.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253225603

Makes sense. Just wondering the cause considering the Rose App creates almost no heat. Maybe apples and oranges, but if running the Roon App on my phone is processor intensive I’d like to know why. Shouldn’t it just be an interface for the nucleus?

Additionally, I’ve been monitoring battery power while using the Roon App only. At this point, on this phone, using dark theme, battery consumption is 5% every 10 minutes. Having just had COVID for 10 days and surfing the web ALOT, I know that web surfing, watching YouTube, streaming YouTube to my TV all day leave me with more than 50% battery after 15 hours of extra intense use.

1 Like

Although it’s a pain, have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling it.

If so, what happens when you close out of the app, force close it from recent app list. Does it still get warm.

Yes, I did a delete/re-install on the phone and deleted the only other instance of the Roon App on the network - running on my MacBook Pro. So the only device running Roon and connected to the core at the time of the test was the iPhone 13 Pro. Force quits have made no difference. I’ve read posts showing others have experienced the heat issue, but I didn’t read any conclusions about it. I imagine a lot of the Roon Community are in a food coma right now.