How are folks handling their video libraries?

I’m not the only kitten killer :laughing: -

kodi should be able to do this. Probably emby too. For films / tv the metadata which both grab from various sources it’s probably not too bad an experience.

Note: if the client you play to doesn’t natively support the container formats, resolutions and / or codecs every media server would have to resort to transcoding.

I can play 4k files no problems using Plex.

Infuse pro on an apple tv 4k, no issues.

Also tried Plex on the APTV4K and direct on my LG Oled and that is also perfect.

All options show no issue with 4K material and HDR.

I also use Infuse Pro 5 on an ATV (although I see that Infuse 6 has just arrived). I have 5 TB of movies and tv shows. I love the user interface, it’s beautiful and very simple to use. My library is stored on my MacPro, Infuse connects via SMB (I think) and has never had any major issues streaming through my router. I have used it since version 3 and the only major issue was a couple of releases back when an update lost all my metadata and it had to be synced again. It was a pain but such is life.

I tried Plex, my friend uses it and I had been impressed when I saw it several years ago. I tried the latest version of Plex and didn’t enjoy using it. It didn’t seem particularly simple unlike Infuse.

Infuse is only for iOS and ATV, which is a bit unfortunate as it would be handy to have a desktop version.

Say what you will , you already know my opinions BUT JRiver does do a good job of handling anything Video thrown at it ., so much so there real dev work is on Video. Its so mature that audio really has nothing to improve

It will never do streaming like Roon will never do DLNA

I use it for all my video & DLNA needs as well as tagging support etc

It feeds my Cambridge Audio CXN natively at Hi Res which Roon doesn’t

I cant decide between them so I use BOTH …

I dont like cats anyway , just leave the dogs out of it :rofl:

1 Like

I have Roon server running together with Plex server on an old Core i7 machine. I keep my media on a NAS and a couple of unRaid servers. With the add on PlexConnext installed in Kodi I can use quite low end clients around the house, no local library in the Kodi machines, they connect directly to Plex server. Very OK system. Plex syncs all clients automatically, and I can for example start watching a movie in the living room and pick it up in the bedroom if I want. It also keeps the watched status synced, which is a nice feature as well.

The rather old Core i7 has 16Gb memory. Running Subsonic server on it too, and that gives me access to all my music when I’m out and about. Also have a FTP server running on this, and a virtual PC which handles my torrents. Roon is upsampling everything to DSD256. Never have any problems running all of it at the same time. It just works. But I am blessed with a very stable network. That helps a lot. Static IP’s on all connected units.

Back in 2003 I had XLobby, a home automation kit, running on multiple PCs and used that interface on Compaq XP virtual wireless touch-screen tablets to launch videos through scripts to Zoomplayer.

My friends and I could each sit in a room with a tablet in our laps and queue up a video track into the playist and it would play in order.

I spent months and months learning how to use XLobby, how to run multiple logins on a PC so that the virtual desktop on the Compaq devices could run off that interface, and how to send the appropriate commands to Zoomplayer. This also involved using Girder as middleware and an IR receiver whose name I forget.

This was great. Except the trouble-shooting to availability ratio was about 3 to 1. One beer too many, and it was back to Jim dragging files into the playlist manually.

J River can do all of this with one good weekend’s efforts.

I use Plex. I’ve also got Emby lurking around, but I haven’t used it for a long while now. Neither solution meets my needs for handling/displaying the content of my photo library.

In general, I find JShiver exhausting to use for playing media. For movies, PLEX or KODI are so much simpler and do everything JShiver does, video-wise.

In spite of the a**hole CEO, I still use JShiver to organize my movies, but that’s it. I’ll never buy another upgrade.

Just proves you don’t know everything.:slightly_smiling_face:

About 5 miles from me, in upstate NY, there is a large compound with a 6 foot fence fronted by planted pine trees. There is no corporate sign out front. There is a gate with guards and a security force patrols the grounds. This is the home and lab of a corporation that uses beagles to test pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.

They have a lot of trouble there. It seems people object to torturing beagles for a better lip gloss.

I hate such labs with a passion, I have had 3 beagles they are such lovely hounds they do not deserve it. There was a lab called Pennycroft in the UK doing the same experimentation that was closed down , we signed up to take one of the displaced dogs but we didn’t get one it was massively oversubscribed

You can tell a lot about beagle owners , 1 dog slightly mad, 2 simultaneously certifiable !! We had Toby & Tess, :laughing:, apparently bassets are even worse !

1 Like

I just changed my Plex server from a dietpi install to a nvidia Shield. Crazy fast browsing and rendering of posters, backgrounds and extras. Overall a great server/player in my view

Plex for me. I run it off the same Synology I use for Roon, and use an Apple TV 4K as the endpoint. It’s really perfect for home movies.

I was already running Plex on a Windows 10 Home based NUC7i7 when I started using Roon last summer. Plex, Roon and my antivirus ( Sophos ) all seem to get along fine. No issues in almost 11 months.

Tiny local music library ( less than 100 albums ) on SATA HD in NUC. 900+ Tidal albums in library so far. Large ( 10+ TB ) video library on QNAP NAS.

Tim

I’ve used Plex for years and got the lifetime Plex Pass when it first came about, used Kodi before that. Shame Plex support sucks and they keep ballsing up the UI but if you want multiroom/mulitlocation and on the go video streaming its still the best choice. I toyed with Emby for a while too but let it slide as Plex had better hardware transcoding on NAS devices.

I use Emby.

I also have JRiver.

Emby works well for me as a way to browse video and play. I am not running 4K

It is easy to load MKv files and organize the extras.

I use an Antipodes EX music server. This is a Roon Core and Roon Endpoint, and also a Plex player. In addition it is a DLNA Renderer, so I can play everything from JRiver and Audirvana+ (both on a Windows PC) to it. This solution is far more flexible than a Nucleus or even an Innuos or Melco.

I have both Roon and Plex installed on my nas (DS3018xs) and everything works flawless.
Plex have best library handling of all solutions I tried. Plex for video is like Roon for music.
For video playback I use dedicated PC with Plex Media Player (beta). Beta version of PMP use MPV for video playback which support advanced upscaling options and all video, audio and subtitle formats so in this way I avoid transcoding in Plex server