How Big Is Your Library

You only asked about the percentage of classical music…:joy:

Not yet…:flushed:

My thought is that the issues I am seeing are related to Classical only. In general my Rock, Jazz, Folk etc were identified OK

My problem lies with Classical composition recognition where the odd few “go Missing” and can’t be merged into one composition

Hence wondering how big a classical audience there is out there

Mike

The remaining 10 %? Very diverse stuff — singer/songwriter, folk, soul, indie, (hard) rock and so on…

1 Like

I haven’t noticed such a difference. I only have 7 unidentified classical albums. No problems here.

I am hitting repeated problems where I have a lot of recordings of the same work and only a portion show in the composition view.

It could be non main stream labels etc not being ID’ed. The big problem is if you have 31 versions of a work , you can miss one without really noticing BUT it doesn’t make it right.

I am also seeing the composition in 2 formats eg

Piano Sonata No.1 in F Minor Op.2/1
and
Piano Sonata No.1 Op.2/1 in F Minor

Hence a mismatch

Mike

Approximate, from memory. Away from home at the moment

8,500 albums
140k tracks
50% Classical
67 Wagner Tannhäuser’s

I have a lot of single flac cue’s, ape’s and iso’s that roon doesn’t recognise. I don’t know how many. I gave up trying to convert them in any consistent way some time ago. I just randomly convert them when in the mood, but I have more time on my hands away from home and may give it another go. Mostly I just play them from JRiver or Foobar.

I find identification and grouping of compositions a much bigger problem than identification of albums. Because I am travelling so much at the moment I have been trying to build a much smaller travel library where I will often have just one performance of a work. So if roon doesn’t identify that single version (even when it has identified the album) I actually am finding that the single biggest problem I have is with a smaller Classical library, not a larger Classical library.

Of course I don’t have 67 Tannhäuser’s. But roon thinks I have. The reason is that if I have a selection for example of 10 arias scattered around on a box set then roon thinks that is 10 Tannhäuser’s and not 1 incomplete Tannhäuser.

1 Like

3,000 albums
11% classical
60% jazz+Avantgarde
25% rock+blues
20% other

That’s 116% .
Shows Roon’s awesome capabilities.
Oh, well.

1 Like

1110 Albums (988 identified)

these include
425 Audiobooks (317 identified)

7100 cd’s

5% classical

50% jazz/blues

Albums. 6,609
Files 109,623

Classical. 29%
Pop / Rock. 25%
Christmas. 9%
Jazz. 7%
Other 30%

Max single work (other than Christmas carols, some of which I have over 100 versions):
Bach, Goldberg Variations - 21 recordings

@Mike_O_Neill

Sorry, Mike, I gave you the wrong stats in my first reply because I’d forgotten that one of my external SSDs wasn’t plugged in when I posted you. One of the many things I really like about Roon is the fact that it’s so easy to remove storage devices temporarily. Removing them and plugging them in again always works absolutely reliably. I do that very often. In fact, 90% of the time I only access my internal SSD (about 1,500 albums). That’s why I didn’t immediately notice that my stats were all wrong.

So this is my complete library:

Albums 7,124 (files 117,321)
Classical: 29%
61 unidentified albums
114 recordings of Beethoven’s Fifth (Yeah, I know that’s crazy… :joy:).

All of my music is locally stored. I only use Tidal (and Qobuz Sublime) to discover new music.

612 albums, 20% Classical.

4200 albums. This picture tells a better story…

I would love to have more classical-related problems so as to understand some of the issues more directly. If I were feeling them every day, it would be easier to move us towards solutions. The classical content that I do listen to seems to translate pretty well, but then again I avoid box sets like the plague.

I am a heavy user of composition/composer browsing for Jazz content. My most numerous compositions are all American Songbook or Jazz Standards with 40-60 performances.

3 Likes

1127 albums (435 GB). Maybe 90% classical.

Hi James,
you probably mean 435 GB, right?

(Blush.) Umm … Yes. Post fixed now.

1 Like

And only 14 Classical Albums (total of 714 albums, all local)

Lots of High Res stuff :slight_smile:

One album, with test tones :joy:

No kidding, about 1500 albums mostly Pop/Rock, Jazz, Electronic, R&B, Old School funk and French Pop/Varieté

1 Like

1412 albums, of which 395 are TIDAL albums added to my local collection.