How can I easily find a song by an artist?

Maybe I’m doing this the wrong way but I find it really hard to find individual songs by artists

For example I wanted to find the song “Indigo Children” by Puscifer

At first I thought I would find Puscifer and then use “focus” to find the song.
This doesn’t work as “focus” is not available at individual artist level

Then I just searched Puscifer Indigo Children. But I get this result

Surely there is a way filter at more than one level (in this case, search within “Puscifer” for “Indigo Children”

Try Tracks/Focus/Performer/Puscifer.

That will return all Tracks by that Performer by alphabetical Album. Clicking Tracks in the header will toggle to alphabetical by Track.

That only works for tracks already in my library.
I often look for tracks in Tidal that aren’t in my library

The performance icons next to the track listing of an Album (even outside your library) will show streaming performances of that Track outside your library, but you need to know which Album the track is on to see that, which is a nice little Catch 22 :crazy_face:.

This should be easier. Anyone else got anything (@moderators) ? If not this would be an excellent feature request.

1 Like

Yes. The use-case is that I know the artist and the track name but not the album. Unless the album happens to be already in my library it can be fiendishly difficult to find the track.

2 Likes

@Trevor_Nathan Search for Maynard James Keenan and go the composer tab on his page.

Many artists’ legal names are used for songwriting credits; the trick is equivalencing them to their main performer names; and sometimes the artist has used both for performing. We are aware of this issue. Sorry for the inconvenience! I hope you find what you are looking for; I found 112 compositions by him in my region on TIDAL and Qobuz.

That’s insane!
What if I don’t know the band members’ names?
What if Maynard wasn’t the composer?
What if it’s a cover?

Much easier to use google but then that’s a big miss on the part of Roon :frowning:
Disappointing

3 Likes

In the most cases the easiest way is: search „ Puscifer Indigo Children“, go to section „Tracks“ and there to „view all“. Then use the filter to get your result. Unfortunately I get only „Children of dubs“ in your special case but not the track „Indigo Children“? That’s strange…

I agree this does look like a schoolboy error. Many people use Tidal or Qobuz as a search tool, and it makes no sense that you can’t do this in Roon.
If I exit Roon and go to the app that controls my Naim streamer, I can use its search to find an artist, then select tracks. If the list is too long to scroll down, I can then search again for the track name.
In Tidal’s own app, I would just type the artist and track name, and there it is. Simple.
I do sometimes wonder if the sophistication of the way Roon presents your music to you has missed out some more basic features that should just work, and this is an example of it.

1 Like

@joel
Actually even that method doesn’t work for me.

Focus on “indigo children” returns no results

If I sort all compositions alphabetically, it’s not there

I will frequently open my Tidal or Qobuz app to search for music. I want to make sure I find the highest resolution from each service. I’ll add it there and it will later show up in Roon.

1 Like

This question came up earlier with inconclusive results. If you stop and think about it, what you’re asking Roon to do is search your local library (anywhere from a few dozen to maybe hundreds of thousands of tracks) and also search the library of all streaming services you may subscribe to (millions of songs). This process could be quite long depending on your internet speed and Roon’s traffic load. My suggestion was Google. Look up the song, find out what album it’s on, search the album in Roon and done. Is it ideal? Clearly no, but I think asking Roon to index every song ever written is unrealistic.

1 Like

Surely your own Roon Core doesn’t index the entire Qobuz and/or Tidal library, and my Naim app, or Tidal and Qobuz’ own apps, certainly don’t. Yet you can still use them to search what’s available, and the results come up instantly, often before you’ve even finished typing the full word. That’s from services that come from multiple servers dotted around the globe. If the all powerful Roon can’t manage that too, something is wrong.

1 Like

Tidal and Qobuz have certainly indexed all the tracks that have…otherwise you’d not be able to search for them and find them in their respective apps. Hopefully at some point Roon will be able to leverage this index data.

Hmmm, I got the right answer over here.

@David_Gibson
I don’t think that’s correct. I’m giving Roon a constraint: there are 120 or so songs by Puscifer. Search only within those

Strange @rockphotog . Is it already in your library?

All of the “answers” and “suggestions” above pussyfoot around the sad fact that Roon’s search function is by far one of the worst features of Roon. It has been analyzed to death by myself and many others.

Consensus is: it stinks.

Unfortunately the development team seem to think they have reason to pride themselves on this unwieldy piece of data retrieval (see release notes on v 1.7).

So searching for something in Roon is still hit and miss. More miss than hit, that is. All you can do is type something in, in case of miss: scroll to the desired category, select “view all” and apply the semi-functional filter on the subsection of results that is supposed to be “all” but usually is just a small number of possible results and hope you find something.

It’s disgraceful and I really hope they scrap this thing and write a normal, useful search end of frustrated rant

No, just Tidal match.

Thats very odd :confused: