How Can I Transfer Music from a Thumb Drive to an Internal SSD?

The title says it all. I just purchased a Nucleus and installed an SSD in it. Now I like to be able to move the music I have on a thumb drive to the internal SSD.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

You’ll have to do it over the network by using a PC or Mac to access the two storage locations. For example, using Windows File Explorer:

This shows storage locations on my ROCK/NUC. For addressing a Nucleus, see the “Copying Music to the Drive” section in this KB article.

I’m on a Mac. Are you saying that I can’t just plug the thumb drive into the back of the Nucleus and copy the files to the internal drive?

You will need to use the Finder on a Mac to do the copying. There is no equivalent of File Explorer or Finder in the Nucleus itself. It’s a music appliance - not a general-purpose computer.

Thanks Geoff, can you point me to step-by-step directions on how to do that? I’m not a techy by any stretch. :flushed:

The network locations to access Nucleus storage are given in that article I quoted above. For a bit more step-by-step approach (using ROCK, but it should give you an idea of what you need to do for Nucleus), try this article.

1 Like

Try this:

Method 1

1. Open a new Finder window (which you should be able to do by clicking the smiling Finder icon in your Dock)

2. See if there is a list of “Locations”, in the Finder menu, that includes your Nucleus. If so, click it open. If not, you may need to open the “Go” menu at the top of your screen, then choose “Connect to server …” and input the IP address for your Nucleus. If you don’t know the Nucleus IP address, you should be able to find it in one of Roon’s setup windows (Settings/General).

Once you’ve found the Nucleus on your network, via the Finder Locations menu or the Go menu, you should be able to mount the Nucleus internal storage drive on your Mac desktop. At that point, just drag your music files/folder(s) onto the drive image.

Method 2
Another approach would be to go into Roon’s Settings/Storage menu and make your current music folder a “watched” folder in Roon. Click the “Add Folder” button to get started, then the “Add Network Share” button.

I recommend Method 2 (you can disable it later if you like). But it can be handy to know how to move files around by the first method, too.

1 Like

Thanks @Tom_K for taking the time to provide me with such a detailed answer, I really appreciate it.

My Mac Mini offers a “Network” and a “nucleus” location. Either of these will get you where you want to go. Clicking on “nucleus” takes you to a “Data” folder. Clicking on “Data” reveals many folders I don’t want to mess with, but one – labeled “Storage”-- shows your library when opened. Then you can simply drag/drop your new files into your library. One thing – using the Mac universe, my external hd did not like passing files from Mac to Linux (the nucleus OS) to Mac. I had to reformat my hd to make it work. That might not apply to an internal SSD.

1 Like

Thanks, but all of this is over my head and so I’m just going to plug my disc drive into the back of the Nucleus and download each disc individually again.

Whatever works!

1 Like

Don’t mean to spam but am in a similar boat and have “found” the storage both ways using a Mac mini to “see” the Nucleus Plus on the network and typing in the Network Share link in the Roon instructions. I just don’t “get” why the network has to be used to transfer files. It would seem this should be quick an easy if you have an ext HDD plugged into the back of the Nucleus to drag and drop those files onto an internal SSD that I installed. It works over network but literally states it will take a week to do this whereas to back up the files from a Mac drive to a new ext drive both plugged into my Mac mini only took about 10 hrs. Is there any other way or is this just the norm to expect 7-14 days to transfer 3TB of music???

1 Like

@Douglasmaurer, is this a one time operation you want to do? If so, I’d go the other way and take the drive out of the nucleus (don’t know if that voids any warranty) and use a usb adapter to put it on the computer that has the content you want to move.

That’s how I setup my NUC with ROCK. I first let ROCK format the drive, then yanked it and put it on my laptop.

1 Like

That wouldn’t void the warranty because the Nucleus doesn’t come with a drive installed. I bought mine online and installed it myself.

I do it on my mac from finder. It shows nuc as networked storage. Quite easy. Nuc will play the files from the thumb drive but will not be-stored and they’ll disappear when the tdrive removed.