How do I combine Artists that changed their name?

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Is there a way to combine the music results of artists that changed their stage name mid way through their career. As an Example, Mos Def changed his name to Yasiin Bey. If I go to either artist page, I only see the tracks/albums that he did while under one pseudonym. Is there a way to make both pages show all albums and songs that an artist has released?

### Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Is the album identified in Roon?

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

If you have an album by each artist in the library, you can select them both and click the “Merge artists” button that will appear top right. However, you will have to decide which one “survives” and you only will see the bio, birthplace, etc. of this one. So this is a good way if artists are duplicated by error, but not the best way to deal with artists that exist under two different names - there is no other way I know to show both if you click one of them, though.

(The merge can be undone in settings)

1 Like

Thanks! If that is the case, I’ll likely manually add both names as the primary artist to every album on both sides. Not ideal in terms of it being an ongoing maintenance solution, but will provide accurate results.

1 Like

I just checked, and Roon does this for Cat Stevens and Yusuf Islam as well. This schism appears to be by design.

So, I ask why? For what purpose? Should not both point to the same artist location in Roon without requiring the end user to merge the two entries?

Wikipedia, for example, does not host separate entries for Lew Alcindor and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

AJ

Good point. I don’t think it’s by design here but a metadata equivalence issue. Mos Def in Roon has a TiVo bio but Yasiin Bey doesn’t. The Wikipedia article, however, is for Yasiin Bey in both Roon artists.

Looks to me like TiVo having the article for Mos Def might break the two apart.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.