How do I know if Ropieee has native DSD support for a USB DAC?

I know there is the Audio Hardware page but it seems some other devices also allow native DSD as well. I have an iFi NEO iDSD, which is not on list but I am able to stream DSD without DoP.

Does Ropieee identifies native DSD support through the USB chipset or some other things?

Just curious. DoP has the same SQ but it is more bandwidth efficient. This can make a difference over Wi-Fi for DSD256.

I have an older Denon DA300 that supports native DSD64 and DoP DSD128 and it is connected via Ropieee Raspberry 4. If I try to stream native DSD128, the DA 300 remains silent and gives an error message which indicates that this DAC does not exchange capability data with the Ropieee.

Native DSD requires the Linux kernel to be aware that the DAC supports it.
Unfortunately the standard being used (UAC2, “USB Audio Class”), has not properly defined this.
This has resulted in various implementations which on it’s turn has resulted in the kernel being patched for specific devices (recognised by their USB ID). That list is basically what you see on RoPieee’s webpage.

However, over time more and more vendors have taken the same route and the kernel has been able to detect this. So slowly (but steadily) you see DAC’s being able of doing native DSD on Linux (and thus RoPieee) without the need to patch the kernel.

1 Like

Hi Harry, thanks for the information!