How do I make not to convert to 16 bit

Somehow I see this path. Why roon is coverting 24 bit to 64 float and then to 16 bit?

Hi @chinni,

For compatibility with AirPlay which only supports standard rate / bit depth streaming.

Thanks. I wonder why it is using Airplay? I am using Roon app on ipad streaming to wiim. Wiim is connected through ethernet and connected to Anthem receiver.

I am new to ipad/Apple. I am assuming airplay is similar to chromecast. I don’t understand why it is streaming wireless when wiim is connected through ethernet.

Is the WiiM Pro on the latest firmware?

If so it will show up under Roon Ready.

A screen shot of you Audio devices in the audio settings tab would help.

Mine is a Pro Plus but will look like this

1 Like

Go to Settings, Audio and select your WIIM from the Roon Ready section.

1 Like

Thanks. I chose wiim under roon ready and fixed issue. I have to be careful next time. It is confusing as Roon gives same device multiple options.

1 Like

As a side note: Don’t let the name fool you, Airplay is just a network protocol. It works both via ethernet and WiFi. Same goes for Chromecast.

4 Likes

I don’t remember how I set wiim. How do you access its own settings to make sure I set properly. I tried settings under wiim app, it does not have device settings. It has app version/language/faq/manual/road map etc.

Good to know. Does it mean even if I use airplay, Roon sends music either from local storage or from qobuz through ethernet to play?

Then how come it is lowering bit depth when I use airplay vs Roon ready? Appreciate it.

I’m glad it’s sorted for you now.

Happy listening :+1:

The Airplay protocol foresees only a fixed 16bit/44.1KHz audio signal. You’d have to ask Apple as to why they did it this way. My guess is they wanted it to work as reliable as possible in more challenging / bad wifi environments, and in such a scenario, more bits are not helping.

If you use Airplay, then the signal will be sent from your Roon Server to your music device in whatever way it is connected to your netwok, be it ethernet or WiFi.

1 Like

Thanks. That makes sense. Roon NUC is connected to ethernet. It never had wifi password. Glad everything is wire for wiim.

For audio on local storage, Roon is streaming to wiim. If I choose song from qobuz, does roon downloads and sends data to qobuz or wiim only gets meta data from Roon and wiim has to download?

Regardless of where the audio is stored, the music will first pass through your Roon Server and from there, it’ll be forwarded to the wiim. Wiim will not directly talk to Qobuz.

1 Like

If a device offers several connection options, Roon lets you choose. Can be useful e.g. if you wanted to group the Wiim with other AirPlay devices

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.