How do I make Roon see a track file that was originally missing

It seems that you might be on to something.

One work around that I have found is I remove the folder from Storage, then rename it on my Source and upload it to the Roon Server as a new folder and then all of my songs appear.

Problem with this is that it breaks my Bookmarks and or Playlists pointing to this folder.

That might be the price to pay then. At least you have a way to manage the album as it grows and changes.

Note that my original issue was about an album, not a folder of single tracks which I have no experience with.

I have found that renaming the folder doesnā€™t help, because Roon added this really smart capability to recognize music even if the location (directory path) has changed. This is a lifesaver in some situations. But it prevents my fooling Roon.

Cleaning the database wipes out that memory.

Cleaning the database didnā€™t work. Very strange random results.

1. I have deleted and copied the album (The Music of Eric Von Essen, Vol 1) several times, and random tracks are not recognized.
  2. I shut down Roonserver, took a backup of the database while I was at it, removed the album from the watched folder, started Roonserver and cleaned the database.
  3. I copy the album back into the watched folder, Roon recognizes it, but another set of tracks are missing.

Vol 2 has similar random results.
Vol 3 is not recognized this time, although it has been recognized before; this album has never had any missing tracks.

Gaah.

Even stranger: when I add the Tidal version of the album, it shows all tracks as expected, but all of them are marked as Duplicate on the Tidal version, even the tracks that are not included in the local FLAC version. So those tracks are apparently seen by Roon in some sense, even though they are not included. (And none of the tracks in the FLAC version are marked as Duplicate.)

@mike I think this now qualifies as a bug.

Btw, I just saw a si liar behavior that I have seen before: I copied another album into the watched folder, and I peeked at it in Roon before the copy was completed; it had only some of the tracks. But it seems as if this peek cements this inventory in Roonā€™s database, because the rest of the tracks do not show up. I think I have seen this behavior before.

Disregard: I hadnā€™t really cleaned the database. I will repeat the experiment.

Correctly cleaning up the library did fix the problems.
(Some confusing behavior, e.g. a new MQA version of Buena Vista did not show up in the top of the by-date-added album list, but it did show up as an alternate version of the existing album.)

The strange behavior I listed above did in fact happen, and was a sign of some form of misbehavior. But cleaning up the database did work, I just made a mistake.

We are working on some file browsing functionality that should help with resolve these cases in a faster, more transparent and intuitive way, but for now this does sound frustrating.

This would be my guess too, but it sounds like you tried the usual methods for ruling this out so Iā€™d like to take a stab at reproducing this @AndersVinberg.

Anything we need to know to replicate your setup as closely as possible? This is a Windows Core? What kind of storage device, and how is it added?

Can you PM me a link to the files in question, too? Might as well be testing with the same media.

The core is Windows 10 in a 515 NUC. In-box SSDs, 0.5 TB for software and metadata, 2 TB for content. So no network involved there. The outputs have been USB direct or wired network; the user interface is iPad through Eero wifi.

I manage the content on another Windows 10 box, copy it across over wifi (SMB in the Windows Explorer).

Iā€™ll get you a link to the content.

@mike
I think @AndersVinberg may be on to something here and i may be able replicate. Iā€™ll raise a ticket and be in touch.

Thanks @AndersVinberg and @ncpl

Iā€™ve got the media, and @vova and I will be running some tests and trying to reproduce this. Weā€™ll follow up once weā€™ve run those tests.