How do I pass over "bit perfect" audio from Spotify to the Chord Mojo 2 on Win 10?

Spotify has the best music discovery (by far, for my taste) so when I look for new music I can’t listen from Roon / Tidal / Qobuz.
In the advanced tab at the Digital Output Properties in the Mojo 2 device settings I enabled “default” which is set for Mojo to 2 channel, 32 bit, 48000 Hz, and I enabled both options at the exclusive mode, so if I listen to 41.1 KHz music, it will not be bit perfect, because it will be upsampled to 48 KHz by the Windows sound card. And if I listen to 96 KHz, it will be downsampled.
And the exclusive mode doesn’t seem to work with Spotify because both the Mojo and Windows volume control is active.
How do I enable real exclusive mode with Spotify and how do I pass over bit perfect music without letting Windows to up- or downsample it?

AFAIK Spotify only streams music in lossy formats. So you cannot stream bitperfect music, and certainly not at 44,1kHz.
Dirk

Spotify is a lossy service, so bit-perfect is meaningless in this context. Only streams having a minimum resolution (bit depth) of 16-bits and a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, i.e., the CD, encoded with a lossless codec, e.g., FLAC, retain this information, and are therefore bit-perfect.

Moreover, the quality of lossy codecs is described by a bitrate, which represents the number of bits processed per second. This is not the same as bit-depth, whereby each sample is stored using n bits, e.g., 16-bit equals 65,536 levels of detail.

For any given original recording, the Mojo2 will display the same sample rate irrespective of stream quality because this is defined at the time of recording.

Nonetheless, it would seem that since Windows is controlling volume, and resampling, you aren’t using exclusive mode, but rather, the system output, i.e., the OS mixer is processing the signal. I imagine this is determined by the Spotify app.

As far as I know, all streaming services, lossy or not, have tracks sampled at 44.1kHz or higher. MP3 supports up to 48kHz.

What has this to do with Roon?

Nothing, but that’s fine since the category is #audio-gear-talk:music-services.

2 Likes