How do you store your music?

Simple solution here… two parallel 2 x 4tb External HDD setups, thus 4x 4tb HDDs total, 8tb per setup, both setups being used regularly and updated on a weekly basis and provide back up for each other. One setup is main office/pc use and other setup, roaming use on laptop.

Al my media including video lives on my QNAP Nas with 8tb of raid 5. Core runs on a separate Linux pc. I don’t use the standard Nas share address though to my core. I mount it to a local mount point on the core using fstsab so Roon sees it as a local directory and not a network one. I found it did some odd things using the Nas share address where. I logged into the core as it would stop playback for some odd reason.

Just checked this device.
Man, this looks really cool and clean. If one does not have the option to put their core far away from the listening room, I guess this would be the perfect case to display along with other high-res music gear. Definitely fits into a listening room, if equipped with (silent) disks like SSDs.

After reading the replies here, it seems that most of us do regularly back up their music, either manual or scheduled and automatic. So I guess it would be cool to do it within Roon, as you suggested.
But then, on the other hand, it a software to play music, so the handling all the files and storing them is still our task. Are there even players that do sync one’s music?

The SonicTransporter will not accept more then one USB drive.
I love SSD because of the speed and you do not hear them.
You can install 2x SSD in the Oyen and the SonicTransporter is seeing only one drive.
When you use a NAS you always have to do a “Force Rescan” in Roon.
Or you can wait till the next day before the album is showing up.
When I now add a album, in seconds Roon is showing the album and analyzed him.
SSD are expensive but I am a spoiled person.
The speed is a big advantage, but actually I do it because I think it sounds better.
I do not want to discuss this, me and my wife are fully convinced.
And you know, my wife is always right (in this case it is, Ha ha)

What do you mean by “parallel”? are the setups identical? And how do you back them up?

In my music server. 1 TB SSD (Jazz & Rock), 5 TB HD (Classical & Jazz). Backed up to HDD on my Desktop.

yes identical in content, one set of 2 hdds is the back up of the other. 2 of the HDDs are mains powered 3.5" devices and 2 of them at 2.5" USB powered for the portable setup.

Do you have an extra device as your music server or set up a spare computer as one?

I do all my ripping, metadata editing on an external 2GB HD attached to my MacBook Pro, which is then synced to a ~25,000 track (mostly AIFF) Roon library on a 2GB internal HD Mac Mini running Roon server (OS and apps on an internal SSD).

This streams via Ethernet to another Mac Mini running Roon connected via USB to a Schiit Eitr, then by SP/DIF to a digital input on my SuperNait. The Mac Mini streamer is a stopgap while I get round to getting my MicroRendu fixed.

My MacBook Pro also streams via USB to a Chord Hugo for headphone listening, and if I am on the road, I have an AAC copy of my library on an external SSD.

I also use a B&W Zeppelin Air and a Sony CD/FM/DAB radio as Airplay endpoints for kitchen/bedroom/etc listening.

I tried pulling tracks from the Synology NAS over Ethernet, but got the occasional dropout.

1 Like

I sent Frank a PM as I just managed to do this with my sonictransporter with internal storage and a QNAP NAS.