How do you use Roon to discover new music?

I want to second how well Roon caters to me after importing all my playlists from Spotify (has most of my listening history) into Tidal.
I find the related artists section in Roon pretty fantastic, and made quite a few discoveries there.
I love the depth of the linkage in Roon (by producer, performing artist, collaborators, composers, genre, etc.), and this allows me to discover more music.
I like the Daily Mixes so far, they seem to get me pretty well… now always perfectly, but that is the cost of discovery: omelettes/eggs, etc.

1 Like

I use Spotify weekly and daily mixes when I’m traveling and pick cherries from that. Further I use YouTube audiophile music channels such as NBR music, etc. Further when I read test reviews I try to listen to the suggestions that the tester used during his/ her review. And last but not least I always have Shazam or SoundHound standby when I’m watching television or so. So when I hear something interesting I try to get the data and than later I look it up. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Tidal is the king of playlists and I often use their playlists to discover new music.

Yep! Friday is new release day on both Qobuz and Tidal, however not all new releases are listed in the new release section which is a bit unfortunate. I also look at various music blogs to fine out about the not listed new releases. Mind you I’m not saying that Tidal or Qobuz don’t have these new releases, since they almost always do have them, but rather it’s just that they don’t have them listed under the new releases section.

I play the radio station of an artist I wouldn’t mind listening to right now. Roon then selects a mix of that artists and similar things based on the rest of my music collection. So there will be songs from my library and ‘new’ stuff from Tidal (in my case). I never get tired of it.

For running I use a playlist with only 170bpm songs from Spotify. If Roon would be linked with that, the recommendations wouldn’t work anymore as the preferences would be totally skewed towards that one playlist.

1 Like

Saving playlists is most likely the biggest lack in Roon.
I do all my playlist creation on the Qobuz app and then play it over Roon. I got use of doing it.
I wish I could add a song to a Qobuz playlist directly from Roon… :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I mostly use reviews in the Gramophone or Jazz Times, or social media posts from musicians I follow, to discover new music. Then I use the search in Qobuz to find the things I’m interested in, favourite them, and thence to Roon. Roon’s search is still too idiosyncratic for me to rely on, though Focus definitely has its uses. Reviews and links in Roon can be good too. Would like to understand what sorting by “Popularity” meant in Roon. Tried Roon Radio. Not my cuppa tea.

I use Qobuz to sample albums and if I like it then I buy it.

I also like suggestions from Roonies in the “What are we listening to”. Plus Roon Radio!

Recommended Albums, by far my favorite unique discovery feature of Roon.

Also love going through Appearances and Compilations when browsing Artists’ discographies.

1 Like

I’m brand new to Roon and have just scratched the surface of it’s potential. I like the Genres When I select a specific genre, many Subgenres don’t allow me to open them them up and play them. For example, I’ll select the Folk Genre, but can’t open up most of the Subgenres such as Alternative Folk, New Acoustic Folk etc. What am I doing wrong here?

I am a classical fan too. The problem is that not all new classical releases are listed. I but read reviews in American Record Guide to find out what I messed 4 months ago.
Playlists are useless for Classical music. We listen to albums.

1 Like

Easily the most important method of finding new music is that each artist and album page has a list of similar artists and albums. I find the hit:miss ratio of Roon’s suggestions in these lists to be very, very high.

I have always agreed with the position against ‘bleeding hunks’, but its been tested with the Daily Mixes…. It is surprisingly (to me) pleasurable to listen to a bunch of varied Martha Argerich recordings all piled together - concerti to chamber to solo.

Feel differently about stacks of bleeding Brahams, say, but the continuity of the performer is interesting

Beginning to fear that I’m a philistine. But I’m old enough not to care that much about it.

I like both.

Judging from regular posts many others like single Classical movement playlists as well depending on the context in which they are listening. At the moment this style of listening is only provided with “Daily Mixes”. There are several feature requests asking for this functionality to be user configurable for shuffle and roon radio also.

I start with an album I like and then chase down new music by clicking on the recording engineer, I’m often amazed how many albums I have in my collection that were put together by the same team.

2 Likes

I generally play an album that I like, and when it is over, Roon basically DJ’s music, mostly from Qobuz and Tidal over my digital library. I have heard many new albums and artists that way!

1 Like

I’ve added many new artists by playing an album already in my library and then letting Roon Radio select tracks when it finishes - when I hear something I like I add the album to my library.
Just noticed, basically the same as the comment above! :wink:

like several others a big part of my new music discoveries come from reading (online and magazines) and then I find Roon with Qobuz to be great at finding that music quickly and being able to listen to see if I like it and want to save it to my Roon library.
I wasn’t that impressed by the Daily Mixes at first but over time they seem to be getting better and better. I am pleased that Roon plays the high-res version of a track if there is one. Each daily mix seems to be mainly tracks (some of which I haven’t listened to before) from artists that I already know, but recently there have also been tracks that I have enjoyed from similar artists that I have listened to before. That usually results in further searches in Roon to discover albums from those artists.

Roon radio…

Hmmm, I am not sure but I dont think you are doing anything wrong. My guess would be that you dont have any albums that fit that subgenera. I noticed that subgeneres sometimes get show because an artist or performer on one of your albums fits in that subgenere, but if you dont actually have any albums by that artist, then there is nothing to play. That is my best guess based on my library and how the subgenera’s act. sorry I can’t give you a definitive answer

all there is a feature request to let tidal recommendations pass through to roon for the daily discover. please vote for it