How does Tidal justify the $19.99/ month price for high res?

Streaming music is like having 7-11 convenience with the 7-11 convenience prices. Tidal, Qobuz and my library are a trifecta with Roon, there is more music than I know what to do with. Do you know how much music I can choose from? I would never have one-hundred million songs in my Peaches Records album crates, cassette crates and CD towers. Is all the music in my genres? No, but there is plenty of music in my genres that I have never listened to before. Tidal and Qobuz bring it to me. I wish I could also integrate my subscriptions to Pandora and Amazon into Roon, oh, and I also have Sirius XM. I am sixty-two years old and thought I knew my music very well, but Tidal and Qobuz have introduced me to music in my genres that I have never heard before. For me, the cost is worth every penny because the convenience and performance are awesome.

13 Likes

@herdel
I read the French law part in some article years ago. Quboz pays more to artists in part out of obligation. To my understanding.

Paying 350% or more than any other service is not only from the kindness of their hearts.

As I recall, the French government acknowledges what a ripoff streaming is for artists and took legal action.

I read it quite a long time ago and may have some details off, but thatā€™s the gist of my understanding. As a point of reference, I consider a day successful if I remember to put on pants before going outside :wink:

5 Likes

In Germany:

Tidal = 19,99 EURO
Qobuz = 12,50 EURO

If Tidal would have some additional benefits than I would gladly pay the amount.

But I donā€™t see any additional benefits.

Torben

3 Likes

Tidal Connect, Lyrics, better discovery features, Dolby Atmos, a much better CarPlay app, are all additional benefits worth the price. Not sure Qobuz can keep the same price for long, as the trend is upwards for all streaming services.

5 Likes

So no additional benefits compared to what I have with ARC and Qobuz

Torben

Youā€™re right. For me, ARC adds unnecessary complexity. Tidal is perfectly usable on its own, Qobuz without Roon not so much.

9 Likes

I agree. Tidals app is leagues ahead as are they recommendations and playlists for my musical tastes. Itā€™s what I miss about it. I canā€™t stand using Qobuz app and their really isnā€™t much of any recommendations and the Q playlists are just not for me.

6 Likes

@mSpot Thanks for posting the screenshot. I read the T & C linked to from BestBuyā€™s subscription management and, as you remarked, it seemed thereā€™s no guarantee on renewal pricing or terms.

I also found the confirmation email which does state the renewal price as yours did.

The $80 annual really is nuts.

Because I had no interest in MQA, Iā€™m currently on the Best Buy $80 per year CD quality plan. Primarily because of Tidal Connect which allows Tidal to integrate into my system in more ways than Qobuz which has no Connect app. I primarily use streaming for various playlists and donā€™t always want to fuss with Roon/HQP to play them.

Iā€™m guessing that with MQA out of the picture that Tidal will adjust its retail pricing to be more in line with everybody else.

Before Amazon and Apple launched $10 lossless / high resolution, Qobuz was about $20 US / month or am I incorrect on this?

It was similar in price compared to Tidal. I believe it was 17,50 Euro or so.

In 2020 when I subscribed to Qobuz it was $15 US for the monthly plan. The monthly plan later dropped to $13 US.

Yes, Tidal did not lower their high res prices, I assume, because they were the only MQA provider and thus had a captive market.

The jig is up.

1 Like

The figure for the Qobuz payments seems off because Tidal is still described as the highest payer in the article where the Qobuz figure is quoted. Is this because the highest payout is quoted for contracted artists and not the average? Or because they average more long tracks? Or, as suggested in the comments they wrote the article around a misquoted Tidal figure which they corrected but then never re-wrote the articles conclusion?

@Henry_McLeod

You will have to ask the article author.

Any way you slice it, streaming is a financial disaster for the vast majority of artists, be the payer Tidal or Quboz. Itā€™s essentially free music.

Even though I subscribe to Tidal, Iā€™m a regular buyer of physical CDs and vinyl which is much better for the artists.

5 Likes

I buy media, see local bands and buy friends and relatives music. But this was a discussion about the Tidal price tag and that was what I was addressing.

2 Likes

Thanks for your comment. I belong to the once-satisfied-always-satisfied type of clientele. Over time, however, I become uneasy about permanent fees. This has been the case with Tidal for three years and I will take your post as an opportunity to finally switch to Qobuz. :+1:

2 Likes

So, what the heck. Arenā€˜t we all Roon heads?

Use Tidal HiFi (Individual) for ā‚¬ 10.99 per month. This is Lossless 44.1 KHz at 16 bit and it sounds perfect without the frills of hires. I donā€™t understand why everyone is complaining so much, just convert Hifi Plus to Hifi and you wonā€™t lose any quality!

1 Like

I doubt Tidal sees Qobuz as a competitor given Qobuz has only 200K subscribers vs 5 million for Tidal. And compared to the big fish, Qobuz is utterly insignificant.

Given Qubozā€™s ā€œminorā€ status, it is very reasonable to say Tidal pays more per song than any ā€œmajorā€ streaming service. All that can be true even though Qobuz pays a substantially higher per song rate.

1 Like