How does Tidal justify the $19.99/ month price for high res?

How does Tidal justify the $19.99/ month price for high res??? Amazon, Apple and Quboz offer the same for about half the price, or less.

While I did not agree with the MQA price, I could understand it as Tidal was the only purveyor of MQA. Now that Tidal is providing the same high res FLAC as everybody else, their high price makes little sense.

9 Likes

Tidal should actually raise their price for all the MQA haters now that they are replacing the terrible MQA with superior high res flac. I pay $120 per year through Best Buy.

4 Likes

I see Tidal on a downward path, atm. Unclear communication is a marketing sin. From the outside, it looks as if they themselves don’t exactly know what their future will be.

6 Likes

Tidal subscriptions are no longer listed on the Best Buy website. It will be interesting to see what happens at renewal time.

Sounds like a rhetorical question to me.
How does any company justify the price of it’s products and/or services?

Some will ask “How does Apple justify the price of an iPhone?”
Someone with a limited interest in music will ask “Why did you pay for a Roon if you still need to provide your own source of music?”
They will probably add “I can stream Spotify for free”.

Personally my one and only reasoning has always been: is that product or service worth it to me? If I think it is, I buy it or subscribe to it. If I think it’s not, I don’t and look for something else.

The advantage of a subscription is that you don’t have to go all-in and can step away if you feel it is no longer worth it to you. The disadvantage is that you will pay more in the long run.

Time will tell if Tidal can keep justifying their prices. I believe they already lowered them once. If they are loosing customers they will either adapt or disappear.

21 Likes

I guess it will be a wait and see what is going to happen.

I have been subscribed to Qobuz for 3 years now and on and off to Tidal for about the same time.

During this time I have seen Qobuz lowering its prices once. But Tidal HiFi Plus has always been 20 Euro per month. We don’t seem to get discount options like the Best Buy one here in the Netherlands.

Is it worth it for me? I quite like MQA and watching music videos next to listening to them. So for me it’s a yes.

However if I were just interested in listening to music and couldn’t care less about MQA then it would be quite a different story.

Then Qobuz would fit my needs just fine. And for 150 Euro per year. Or 12,50 per month.

5 Likes

On this forum, streaming services are judged by the difference in sound quality of their offer, or rather by the impression of a difference. This is to be expected, given that Roon is a unified interface. A streaming service is more than that. It’s all the functionality that’s offered, and from this point of view Tidal is a top-quality offering: Tidal Connect, cutting-edge playlists, very good discovery functions, in particular My Daily Discovery. More expensive than Qobuz, but that’s acceptable; talking about percentages doesn’t make much sense, as we’re talking about small sums (1 to 2 coffees per month).

13 Likes

Tidal pay the artist’s more than any of the other streaming providers with the possible exception of Napster. A legacy of performer ownership. It shouldn’t be hard to recognise that is where your money is going. It is possible for really big artists to negotiate higher payments but on average Tidal pays three times the average rate with Spotify holding the position of least payments and dragging that average right down.

17 Likes

Long live TIDAL !!!

7 Likes

How can we justify getting nearly 100 million tracks and have a vast library of different labels and genres for just 9.99 or 12.99 a month. When video streaming has limited options and we have to pay for multiple services to get content from different studios.

I am with Darko on this that music streaming in any guise is the bargain of the century’s and it the lower prices we are getting away with daylight robbery. We are pulling revenue away from those that make it and affecting their ability to make a living because we want it all we want it now but don’t want to pay an honest price for it.

I am guilty here currently of going for the cheapest option I can get but I think Tidals got it right, charge more, give artists a bit more and it’s not a ride to the bottom. If there was a video equivalent of any music streaming platform you would be paying through the nose for it.

Considering how much we pay on kit and som on just a server I don’t think 19.99 is asking too much and it certainly is justified for many reasons.

41 Likes

If there was an option to pay more, with the additional funds being distributed to artists, I’d take it.
A month of Tidal Max costs less than what I paid for a single CD…. 2 decades ago.

20 Likes

Qobuz pays artists nearly 3.5 times more than Tidal. .013 vs .043 per stream.

Streaming in general is HORRIBLE for the vast majority of artists. If you want to support artists, buy their CD or record. Or downloads from BandCamp.

16 Likes

That’s what max/Hifi plus does. They have the regular tier below which is cheaper and not hires or MQA masters, or have they ditched it now?

Yes. There’s a lower tier.
I meant I’d be willing to pay more than $19.99 which is what Max costs for me.

Setting Best Buy aside, Tidal charges $19.99 for what their competitors charges $10 to $12, or less.

High Rea once was $20 across the board until Apple and Amazon quickly blew that up. Quboz adjusted their prices. Tidal never did.

Now that they no longer have to pay MQA, hopefully Tidal will see the light.

2 Likes

How old is that information? This is from April 2023.

According to a report from Producer Hive, Tidal is the only major streaming platform to average more than $. 01 per stream. It is far and away the industry leader in getting artists paid. Only Qobuz can compete with Tidal when it comes to audio quality, and Tidal is in a league of its own for artist payouts.

3 Likes

Tidal vs Qobuz Info is from May, 2023 and widely published.

The key is Qobuz has such a smaller subscriber base that it is not considered “major”.

But Qobuz pays .043 vs Tidal’s .013. I think French law has influence over Qobuz paying a fair price.

Amongst the “major” services (ie Amazon, Spotify and Apple), Tidal does pay more.

Scroll down to see the chart…

6 Likes

Or for those too lazy, here is the chart….

8 Likes

Qobuz’s level of payment has nothing to do with french law. If Qobuz seems to pay more, it’s probably because there’s less listening (low number of subscribers), more listening to classical music and jazz with longer tracks. In the end, most artists earn more (but too little) on Spotify and Tidal than on Qobuz.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Best Buy Tidal deal has ended