How much is Roon worth? What investments should it displace?

At 68 years of age, I now have over 2,500 CD’s ripped native resolution to an SSD, connected to a tiny sub $300 Intel NUC running Roon ROCK, all connected to my router via ethernet. I just sit back with a laptop or iPhone and pull up whatever I want to hear. With two Sonos arranged around the house I can Airplay to my main system and everywhere else. For that and my Roon lifetime license I can do that as long as I last. If there isn’t a lot of value in this then I guess I am just easy to please.

8 Likes

So at least 33 years to go then…

2 Likes

That sounds like a recommendation to someone that has the same needs as yourself. There will be people that love the interface or the flexibility over the best sound possible.

I also think they need to have been down the other software journeys a bit, been frustrated by upnp, played with jriver or the like, used the manufacturers own software etc in order to see the UI and technical connection advantages.
Also, not sure that the people who know every track they have and it’s provenance are a good audience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

lifetime subscription in 2015 is about investing in the future of Roon. Not in 2019.

1 Like

Roon can do a buyback…I have two licenses.

Haven’t been through the whole thread so apologies if this repeats points already made but here’s a few thoughts about Roon ‘Value’ that are relevant to me.

• I wish the free trial had been a bit longer but even so it was immediately obvious to me that Roon was an absolute revelation simply in terms of Music Management. It is worth it to me purely for that, it has completely transformed how I feel about digital music.

• Moving out 450 CDs allowed me to remove a set of shelves (rented apartment so couldn’t wall mount). I live in the centre of a European city with the associated rents - freeing up some wall space makes a significant difference to the available useable space. The monetary value of having that extra space is actually significant, indeed my partner who teaches has been able to set up a small wall leaning desk for home working in that space.

I know this won’t be relevant to most people here but when people discuss the physical media vs. digital debate one aspect people often overlook is the horrific housing situation that most people under 40 face - having space for physical media is simply not an option for huge numbers of people.

1 Like

Storage for 3000 cd’s, this:

shelfstore_cds

or this:

boxnuc7i7bnh-3bd3589746124f0ba020d5c60640252d

3 Likes

Both.

10 chars.

I have decent other music sources in my system, such as my Linn LP12/Ekos/Adikt vinyl front-end, and my Denon DCD-A100 SACD player. I also have thousands of LP’s, and SACD’s to go with them too.
But since getting a Nucleus/Roon, I’ve hardly used my other sources. And I don’t really want to either.
I think this says it all!

4 Likes

Agreed. I have 12’ x 3’ custom cabinetry made to store my CDs. They have been ripped for playback through my Nucleus. Unfortunately I don’t know what to do with the discs!

I did the storage calculation, disk space vs. shelf space. This was two years ago, since then disk has gone down and real estate has gone up.

I have three racks for my CD and SACD disks. Until I snagged a Roon Nucleus Plus server, USB to my PS Audio DirectStream DAC, I’d say the sound quality of playing those disks was superior. But now that I’ve got that server and a Qobuz subscription, I’ve yet to buy any more disks, as the Nucleus Plus and the DirectStream DAC really play well together.