How should a Roon user give feedback on metadata problems?

Suppose one finds a problem with the metadata for an album. Most of my problems relate to how classical music albums are divided up into works. When this happens right, it is for me the best feature of Roon and really opens up my library. And the great thing about Roon is that it almost always happens right. When it doesn’t happen, it is usually because:

1. There is no entry in Allmusic for Roon to pull information for that album to divide it into works
  2. The entry in Allmusic is poor quality (does not divide the album into works, or does so incorrectly)

What I’d like to know is what I should do in such situations. Where should I report the album? In this forum? Should I contact Allmusic? Should I just edit my tags and forget about requesting that public metadata be improved?

It might be nice, when encountering a metadata issue, to be able to press a button to send a signal to Roonlabs (like Google or Apple allow for flagging errors in mapping data). Roonlabs could then pass on a consolidated list of issues to Allmusic with more clout than an email from an individual user?

Anyway, it would be great to know what a single user should do when encountering bad or missing metadata…

3 Likes

I agree. Almost all works are grouped fine and this is one of Roon’s best features for classical music. But it would be a big help to have easy ways a) to report any problems with metadata and b) to edit incorrectly grouped works.

Just to add an example. The Glenn Gould ‘Complete Original Jacket Collection’ is not split up into works, and has rather limited metadata:

It’s a wonderful collection. It’s 80 CDs :smile:

This wonderful Paul Tortelier recording of Bach’s Cello Suites only has metadata in French, so it does not group the performances as being of the same work as those in English-metadata recordings: