How to assign static IP

Please forgive my lack of knowledge but I am having issues with while playing after a couple or few hours where the P/B from a self made playlist (from library, QNAP NAS, Qobuz or Tidal, doesn’t matter the source), tracks pause then start up again then continuously pause and start to the point it becomes unusable, all ethernet connected from unmanaged switch (tried replacing same results). I suspect it may be caused by my ISP, Century Link Fiber>ONT>ERRO WIFI 6 PRO MESH ROUTER, changing IPs. How do I assign static IPS? Do I have to assign the same STATIC IP to both the Nucleus Plus and my streaming device to communicate? The only way I found to get things back to operational for awhile is to reboot the Nucleus Plus. TIA

I would try assigning a reserved IP in the erro pro instead of messing with static IPs.
I did this in my erro pro and it seems to be more stable.
In Erro app go to Settings>Network settings>“add reservation”

Static IPs cause issues if you ever change network router/modem in the future.
If the issue is on the your ISPs end you would need them to assign you a static IP for WAN (and probably pay $$ for it).

As long as both Roon server and the streamer are on the same subnet they should “see” each other.

3 Likes

Thanks
Century Link does not offer static IPs. The only other way from what I have researched is through a VPN which is probably counter productive as they tend to slow speeds substantially.
Thanks again

You seem to be confusing internal and external static IPs.

Your internet provider (Century Link) may or may not be able to assign you a static IP, but this would be the external static IP of your router, with which it identifies on the internet.

On your local home network, you can freely assign private static addresses, or let your router reserve private addresses for your local devices as @bearFNF correctly recommended. This has nothing to do with Century Link.

1 Like

Thanks, this is way beyond my pay grade though. I’m afraid due to my lack of knowledge I’d be doing more harm than good trying this and wouldn’t know how to start.

For the reservation in the Eero app it’s pretty straight forward.
In Erro app go to Settings>Network settings>Reservation & port forwarding>“add reservation” .
It then shows you a list of devices currently on your network.
You pick the one you want then select “save”.

2 Likes

Yes thanks, I had previously done this,

What @bearFNF says.

And to be clear, the answer to this is an emphatic NO:

IPs on a network identify an individual device and must always be unique. Assigning the same one to more than one device would definitely break communication.

And this …

… is also a misunderstanding. Century Link might be dynamically changing your router’s external IP but…

• … this would have no effect on your Eero router and the local network and the private IPs behind it
  • … and is extremely unlikely to cause the issue you are experiencing
2 Likes

Thanks for this, explains a lot for me.

1 Like