How to display additional information at folder level?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS / 2 vCPU & 4 GB RAM (VM) / Roon 1.8

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

VM across vnet to 24 Ports Unifi switch across to 8 port Unifi switch (all cat 6)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Audio Quest Cinnamon in to Naim Uniti Atom

Description Of Issue

Just wanted to know what the recommended way of displaying / recording the Label / Release number at the folder level is for a particular album.

I have been using something like:

Madonna - True Blue (Sire - 9 25442-1)

Which then has the Roon UI display:

Version: Sire - 9 25442-1

If I use:

I would also like to mark up if it came from Vinyl / CD - can this be formatted some how in to the folder name?

Also the same goes for holding a comment such as “Original US Release” - ideally I would like to add these different suffixes to the folder name and have them displayed in different fields in the Roon UI once added - any suggestions ?

You can do this - look at the “Album version settings” section on the Settings > Library > Import settings page for the options available to do this.

Thanks Geoff for the hint.

So with the Import settings as default - there seem to be parenthesis, curly, square, angle brackets all relating to “Look for Album Version”

If I use the following folder name:

Madonna - True Blue [Original US Vinyl Release] (Sire - 9 25442-1)

I then see in Roon UI:

Version: Original US Vinyl Release, Sire - 9 25442-1

I would like to see something like:

Version: Original US Vinyl Release
Label: Sire - 9 25442-1

As to separate fields. The longer Version string generally doesn’t display since its bound to the right hand side of the screen and there is not enough space and the letters are cut.

Isn’t “Sire - 9 25442-1” the product code and “Sire” the label? If so, then try using the metadata fields to display this data?

You could set these fields within Roon using Roon’s Album editor, or use ID3 tags in the track metadata using a metadata editor if you prefer.

Yes - that sounds about right. When I read the Metadata Preferences and I see the prefer Roon or prefer file option - how do I know which Roon Field (say Product Code) related back to the correct ID3 tag on the file? I check ID3 tag (using the app called Meta on my Mac) but don’t see any called Product Code or Label.

Good question; I don’t see those specific terms in the list of ID3 tags.

Perhaps Label = Publisher [TPUB] and Product code = Music CD identifier [MCDI]?

It’s in situations like these that I use the Roon Album editor, but perhaps someone else has the answer for using ID3 tags?.

Publisher seems to be the right ID3 tag for Label - problem though is that the Label information gets pushed to the bottom of the Credits tab in to a section called Release Information which isn’t usefully placed. Having it up on the main page top right hand side list (under Length, Rating,Format, Dynamic range, Version) would be much more handy.

Not sure I can find where Product code or Catalogue Number get pulled from the File.

True - if you are used to seeing that upfront. You can always raise this as a Feature Request.

On the other hand, at least it is now possible to Focus on Labels in the Album browser, which was not possible before 1.8, AFAIK.

1 Like