How to EQ in HQPlayer?

How to EQ in Hqplayer? I’m trying to reduce some bass response in Hqplayer. Please help.

Using the pipeline matrix feature. You can define multiple EQ’s to adjust such things, and you can use the Plot-function to see the response.

I would suggest to get started with RoomEq Wizard in this area. You can import parametric EQ setting .txt files from there. This is fairly easy and straightforward way to do some advanced corrections. Other alternatives are for example Audiolense and Acourate.

1 Like

Any possibility to use 3rd party VST plugins with HQp? Or in near future?

No, there are several technical reasons why VST plugins are not supported.

That’s unfortunate because Foobar2000 has VST plugins compatibility with DSD upsampling on the fly. Although I don’t like the output quality of Foobar2000 SACD plugin at all.

Few problems with VST:

• Cannot process DSD content (DSD → DSD paths)
  • Requires application and plugin to have a GUI
  • Cannot host the processing and GUI separately on separate devices of mixed architectures
  • Practically Windows-only
  • In practice, most if not all plugins are x86 instruction set only
  • Doesn’t support GPU DSP pipelines
  • Plugins have restrictions on supported sampling rates
3 Likes

• Cannot process DSD content (DSD → DSD paths) TRUE
• Requires application and plugin to have a GUI TRUE
• Cannot host the processing and GUI separately on separate
devices of mixed architectures TRUE
• Practically Windows-only NOPE
• In practice, most if not all plugins are x86 instruction set only NOPE
• Doesn’t support GPU DSP pipelines HAVE NO IDEA
• Plugins have restrictions on supported sampling rates TRUE

BTW what is the purpose of “Expand HF” checkbox?

VST plugins for arm64 macOS? Or arm64 Linux?
VST API documentation all circulates around Windows, same way as ASIO.

But already those TRUE items are enough to disregard the API as unsuitable.

It is explained in the manual… But let’s say you have convolution filter of 48k sampling rate. It’s frequency response ends at 24 kHz. However, if your material is for example 192k, the material has frequency bandwidth reaching 96 kHz. Expand HF continues the high frequency response from the 24 kHz on, flat, to what ever is the needed bandwidth for the source content.

1 Like

VST plugins for arm64 macOS? Or arm64 Linux?
VST API documentation all circulates around Windows, same way as ASIO.

Fabfilter, DMG Audio, Waves Audio, Plugin Alliance, and many more plugins natively support arm64 macOS but not Linux.

I’m personally using Fabfilter Pro MB and Pro L2 professional plugins for my consumer environment.

Any DSP feature supported by HQPlayer would need to fulfil the requirements I listed. Likely many of those are also reason why Roon doesn’t support VST either.

The only issue is the constant phase shift when EQing the low end.

For speaker room correction this can be prevented by using convolution filters either in Roon or HQP. Filters need to be generated either with REW and rephase or with software like Focus Fidelity.

1 Like

Other filter design tool alternatives are also Audiolense and Acourate.

1 Like

HQPlayer gives you option to run parametric EQ as normal minimum-phase filter, or run it as linear phase filter. Up to you to choose.

In addition, using convolution based corrections, like @Daiyama said, allows complete freedom of independent phase and magnitude response adjustments.

HQPlayer allows practically unlimited number of parametric and convolution EQs, either one, or combined.

2 Likes

I am using roon + HQPLayer 5 Desktop (Ver. 5.5.1) in the following configuration.

Core i 7-4700 for roon server, Core i 7-8700 for HQPlayer.

They are connected to a USB-DAC via NAA.

Each device is on the network via IPV6.

We have an impulse response file to compensate for room characteristics and have the convolution engine enabled.

Only the convolution engine is set to CUDA-offload.

When music is played on roon, “roon” is displayed at the beginning of the Contents Source column at the bottom of the main screen of HQPlayer, and a small Cuda offload status is shown at the bottom of the screen and the music starts playing.

However, sometimes the message “#No impulse response for channel 78” appears and playback begins without the convolution engine being applied.

If you click at the beginning of the Contents Source column at the bottom of the HQPlayer main screen, that section will be highlighted in blue, and the CUDA offload status will be shown at the bottom of the screen and playback will continue with correction.

Why does the convolution engine not always work correctly?

There are many such messages in the log file. HQPlayer has 128 DSP pipelines, and it just reports that there was no convolution filter defined for channel (pipeline) 78. You can ignore such messages if you don’t have a convolution filter defined for such channels.

Thank you Jussi.

Is there any way to check if the convolution engine is applied for the sound source being played?

How can I use the log viewer?

You can read the log file with the log viewer, if you have log file enabled in settings.

You can also switch the convolution engine on/off on the fly. And if you use the matrix processor to do the same, you can switch matrix profiles on the fly.

Howlo.

How bout a tilt option? Would be nice.

That shelf feature or what?