How to exclude the Opera Genre

The percentage of classical music which is opera is small. The amount of opera I have in my collection is even smaller. Actually accidental.

So why does Roon radio torture me with so much opera?

2 Likes

Hah…I just woke up, started a violin concerto and checked the queue

The last tracts are from Carmen. Like Mahler’s 3rd, it says it is added by me in the queue.

1 Like

this is defensible, imo, as the tracks in question are from the same album, and are a violin “fantasy” of music from the opera, rather than the opera itself.

When hitting FF, it will ask you why. Hopefully, that help to train Radio. Also I try to make a play list if I plan on listening more than a couple of hours. I’ve been deleting 1-3 playlists weekly and making replacements likewise.

1 Like

Assuming the metadata allows, a future Roon release will offer us a Roon Radio filter to exclude specific (e.g. vocal) tracks. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Hey @Dennis_in_FL , maybe Roon knows something you don’t know (yet)? :smirk:

1 Like

A thought: Roon plays a high percentage of opera because it represents a higher percentage of TRACKS than does the remainder of Classical. An opera might have 40 tracks whereas a symphony 3 or 4. So they’re basing it off of track volume.

Mebbe? Wouldn’t it be nice to hear an authoritative voice in threads like this?

1 Like

an interesting theory, but doesn’t explain (my) Roon’s obsession with Mahler 3.

2 Likes

Did you try clicking the “heart” on your library’s Mahler 3 album until it is “ban this”?

1 Like

that’s the thing; it’s not in my library.

1 Like

listened to Mozart requiem last night, once again, Roon decided I needed to hear Mahler 3, in the above recording, immediately afterwards, even tho I’ve “thumbs-downed” this recording.

1 Like

Never used ai radio, but yours having an obsession with Mahler 3 makes it more human.

Sorry, I do not want to offend anyone but It is the funniest thread, or maybe for me after 3 hours of text-davinci-002 open ai api

2 Likes

I’ve tried thumbs down simultaneous with foul language and it doesn’t work

2 Likes

Well, I have fingers crossed, and one of the last updates has so far eliminated opera from my Roon Radio selections. Have you checked your Mahler frequency lately?

1 Like