How to get Network Access to files and attached USB drive on Ubuntu server

I’m a complete Linux newbie. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How do I access files on my Ubuntu server and its attached USB drives remotely from my home network?

System:
Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS server installed on a Minisforum UM690 mini PC
Roon Server and Cockpit installed.
USB HD drive attached for backup copy of my music library
USB flash drive attached for Roon backup.

I want to use a MacBook Air and a Windows 10 PC to:

1. Copy changes in my music library to the USB hard drive backup attached to the mini PC with GoodSync.
  2. Backup Roon to a USB flash drive attached to the mini PC
  3. Access Roon log files if I need them for troubleshooting in the future.

How do I share files and locally attached USB drives with my network?
Right now I cannot see the files on the mini PC or the attached drives on the network from mac finder or windows file explorer when I attempt to map the drive on windows or connect to the server on finder in mac. I’m not sure how to share the files and usb drives with read write privileges.

This is older but still seems relevant unless they did something different in 20.04. Of course, the Ubuntu community will be your friend regarding that. Good luck. Welcome to Linux.

2 Likes

I’m replying twice because there seems to be a file sharing app for Cockpit. If you get that up and running you can configure samba shares from within Cockpit. Lots of ways to do things you’ll find. Pick your poison and own it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Have you even got the drives mounted? If not you’ll need to tackle that before addressing the sharing. In fact, depending on where the drives are attached and based upon what you shared of your needs (numbered list), you may not even need to use file sharing.

Thanks. I saw that app for cockpit, I may give it a try but it was designed for an old version of Ubuntu.

Thanks for the reply, I mounted one of the drives, but cannot see it on the network. Perhaps I should have mounted it differently?

I was able to mount and share the drives with samba after spending some time on the internet researching best methods and commands. The cockpit plug in would have been the easiest but does not currently work with Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS and is not supported.

4 Likes