How to get the USB output to work for Audio on Rossini DAC

Hi,
Trying to get an original nucleus regular model to use the USB output to a DCS Rossini with clock. once plugged in, and I take the network connection out of the rossini, I do not have an output device to select in Roon ipad interface. how to just get the usb to output audio?
Thank you!
JW

Have you gone to Settings > Audio and enabled the Rossini?

Hi,
Yes rossini enabled and working as a network client. Whenever i select a zone in roon it goes to the rossinin and auto switches the input on the dac to network. I do see a setup for the DCS ALCS? it think, also same for the HDMI out of the roon nuclues ALCS (not in front of these items right now). Not sure what that is.
so without the dcs selected as the endpoint, i cant play anything in roon since no zone selected. Is the uSB plug and play or is ther something that needs to be enabled in the roon settings? I see the HDMI output enable but not the usb
thanks!!
JW

If you connect the Rossini using USB, it is another device interface, and needs to be enabled separately. Have you looked under Settings > Audio?

Furthermore, are you using the USB1 input?

Hi, Thanks for the responses!

I have looked in the devices section in roon settings and have the HDMI output that shows up to 'Enable" but nothing else. that is the only Nucleus device that is suggests. Nothing else for USB or other.
Using the USB 1 on DCS the USB B Connection and A at the Roon

does the usb need to be connected and “synced” for it to show up? Also wondering if the outboard dcs clock is not seeing the USB, but would that affect whether the roon nucleus shows up in the roon devices menu?

HI John,

fellow user here. Don’t own a Rossini but have just finished reading the manuals and am willing to give some suggestions.

In Roon, disable the current DCS network device. Make Sure the DCS is on, plug the USB cable from the Nucleus into the USB1 port on the DAC; and verify that USB1 is set to USB Audio Class 2 (This is under page 23 of the Rossini manual). As for the clock, you might have to do extra settings to have the USB1 interface lock in with the clock.

Then under Roon Settings -> Audio you should see an ALSA device (not sure what it will be called actually) that you will then need to name and enable. At this point, if the Nucleus is not showing anything then take a screen picture of the Settings Audio page so support can see what you are seeing.

1 Like

Hi Daniel!
Thanks for the input!!

USB class…Class 2, thank you.
clock…yes, i’m thinking i need to “sync” the clock with that input…glad you feel that way too.
ALSA- when last working on it, the roon shows up in devices but only with the ALSA HDMI connection. I would think that possible the usb wasn’t seeing a conetion and so wouldn’t populate as an option, but neither is the hdmi connection, but shows up. There is also an ALSA option for the DCS?

I will try these items. Thank you so much for the help!!
JW

ALSA is the Linux audio connection like ASIO in the Windows world. It is used for different connection types, so not exclusive to.USB. HDMI is not USB.

Roon will only “see” a DAC if it is turned on and connected. Otherwise it will not be displayed. If you are not seeing a connection then something is wrong. It could be the cable, use a standard cheap usb cable not a boutique one for now. It could be the USB port settings on the rosinni are not set right. You have to use USB1. On page 25 of the manual there are directions to try is the USB port is not found by the computer it is plugged into, you might try that as well.

Hi, I know nothing about DCS.
But my DAC has Ethernet and USB inputs.
When switching from one connection to another,In order for Roon to see the new one I have to tell to my DAC to use the new connection, only after that can I select the new connection in Roon…

Hope it’s that simple for you…

Connections:
You need to connect USB1 in the back of Rossini to any of the USB ports in the Nucleus.

On Roon:
Rossini will show as a device in the Settings > Audio section with the name Rossini, and you need to enable that. It is not the one in the RoonReady section - which you will still see if you leave the Rossini connected to the network which you should for updates, etc.

I also suggest that you disable Rossini in the RoonReady section as you won’t be using that route to play to it.

HDMI is another output of the Nucleus which you will NOT be using so better disable it since otherwise it will show as a zone (why would you want that clutter?).

Rossini input selection:
In the Rossini itself you will need to choose USB as the input in order to play music.

One note about MQA:
The USB1 input in Rossini does NOT support the full MQA decoding. This is only supported via the Network (LAN) or USB2 inputs (*). So if you’re using the USB1 input in Rossini you will need to set Roon to do the first unfold.

(*) The reason for this is the first unfold is done in Rossini’s network card. Ethernet and USB2 (which is meant to be used with an external storage device) go through the network card, all other inputs do not. All inputs can render MQA.

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.