How to install Roon the best way?

Hello,

I am using an old server for Roon and it works just fine. I had some trouble with the normal Roon software because my videocard was out of date. Now running te server software and it works fine.

I want to update my server, I have an normal desktop computer in mind and now I have some questions about setting it up just right.

I will have an spinning disc inside the desktop for all my music. There will be an M.2 ssd disk with the operating system on it.

I am considering putting a 120GB SSD disk in the desktop as well for Roon software. Can I install the Roon software on that disk or does it require to be installed on the C: drive? And if I install it on the SSD would the system benefit in speed when search or importing albums?

Best regards Ronald

Where one puts Roon software isnā€™t that important.

Roon will always put its library on the drive that contains the OS. For that you want an SSD.

Your Roon software and music files can go on an HDD or SSD,

Unnecessary, put Roon software wherever you keep software on that machine.

None of the above necessarily applies if youā€™re are contemplating installing ROCK or running Roon from a NAS.

It is a shame that Roon canā€™t be installed on a seperate drive. Would be nice to do that.

I will install it on the drive which contains the Windows software. That is an m2 ssd. So that would be fast enough.

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards Ronald

Thereā€™s just no reason to do so. Although, if one knew what they were doing, I guess the Roon software could be moved to any drive one wanted.

Itā€™s the Roon library that gives one no choice; Roon automatically puts it on the OS drive.

Assuredly. :slightly_smiling_face:

No matter how many disks you might have in your PC, Windows will always be installed on only one of them. If settings/configuration/options left alone, Windows and any software you might install will never make use of any of the additional disks.

You will not be asked where you want to install Roon. As Roon is no native Windows software it will not go to the usual software directory ā€“ it will be installed in a sub-directory in the users profile.

Just make sure itā€™s big enough for your needs (I guess ā‰„ 512GB nowadays).

As the system disk is already a M2 SSD, I donā€™t see how a separate SSD for Roon should improve anything.

Well I have a M2 ssd 256GB. It would be nice to have the opportunity to install it on a drive of choice. This because I already have those drives.

Microsoft Office for example can be placed anywhere on a disk. A dedicated disk only for Roon would be nice then.

Thread title is: How to install Roon the best way?

If you want to install it your way instead is possible but off-topic.

You can make use of a symlink to place the Roon Software somewhere else.

Are you using that desktop computer for other purposes? I would build a NUC for Roon instead. In my experience, running Roon on a Windows 10 computer is not the best way, especially if itā€™s a general use computer.

1 Like

It sounds like you should be fine. RoonCore runs just fine on a Windows 10 multi-purpose computer, Iā€™ve run my primary core that way for 5 years.

2 Likes

I think that depends on your use case. While Roon ran OK on my Dell XPS 15 laptop, it was really not a ā€œbest caseā€ situation for me. For one thing, I kept shutting down Roon as I was surfing the web. It works, but itā€™s a pain for some people. I also shut down my laptop at night, so I suspect that was not a ā€œbest caseā€ situation for Roon. My Roon Nucleus has been perfect for 3 months now.

You could mount the drive as a folder, but this can have unpredictable results, especially where user profiles are concerned.

Iā€™ve never tried this with Windows 10 but had some success a few years ago with Windows 8.1.

I only use it as an server for Roon and for my movies. It has to be Windows based.

Blockquote Jim_F I think that depends on your use case. While Roon ran OK on my Dell XPS 15 laptop, it was really not a ā€œbest caseā€ situation for me. For one thing, I kept shutting down Roon as I was surfing the web. It works, but itā€™s a pain for some people. I also shut down my laptop at night, so I suspect that was not a ā€œbest caseā€ situation for Roon. My Roon Nucleus has been perfect for 3 months now.

As literally a brand new user, I can very much envisage similar issues with me. And so am already thinking of ways to get it off my personal laptop. Iā€™ll need to read the ā€˜how toā€™sā€™, but Iā€™m thinking given my music is all on a NAS, thereā€™s no real reason why I need this laptop to be running Roon. Without reading Iā€™m not sure what options there are for me (I will look into it). Further, if I leave home with my laptop then nobody can play any music in my absence I assume.

Why not if it has sufficient resources, mine runs all sorts , SQLServer, JRiver Roon and is my main desktop for mail internet anything. Its is and was my main development machine . I have never had a blip running anything on it

Dedicated kit is nice but duplication of space and cost.

Surely if you take the Core with you. :smiley: But please read also the KB-article How many licenses do I need?.

My Core is a Standard Tower PC , it has i7 , 7700, 16Gb RAM, 256 SSD for Windows (and Roon etc)

It has 2 x 4Tb (one each music and video), 1x 3Tb HHD and 1 x 2TB HDD

Runs everything with ease . I run Roon for music and JRiver for video (and music)

Its my general purpose PC as well

It all about how you want to set it up. A NUC is nice if you want a compact set up also less noise could be an issue, in my case my PC is in the study a few walls away from my listening area so however noisy it is is irrelevant.

Blockquote How many licenses do I need?.

Thanks BlackJack. :sunglasses:

That would be: 1 Roon core that manages your music library (your ā€œmainā€ installation) with unlimited remotes.

Sadly, I am beginning to see I have set Roon up not optimally for my needs. I wish I knew or understood all of the nuances prior. Oh well, time to start thinking of other options available to me, if I donā€™t think this laptop (that often ā€˜goesā€™ with me) is the best solution.

It doesnā€™t have to be Windows based to run Roon core.

Look into a NUC and Loading ROCK onto it. Get an external USB and copy the music from the NAS so that the music is local to the NUC and the NAS is used as an extra copy.

Jim, he is also using it for movies.